New 300WM.....too many options!

Deederswy

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new 300WM, I'm on a budget but I'd still like some long range accuracy....I have it narrowed down, if you can call it that, to a Remington SPS, Tikka T3, Savage 111 LRH or a Sako finnlight 85(I can get for $1080)....I don't plan on doing any mods to it, at least not anytime soon. I do reload and this will be used as a hunting rifle so weight might be a factor having to pack in around the mountains in Wyoming. I've read so many pros and cons on all of them and sitting in front of a computer for hours trying to research the best out of the box rifle has pushed me further from making a choice! Any and all info would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Nick

Here's another (better, IMO) option..

These are the best, and most accurate, out-of-the-box rifles I've shot. The only crux is that you will want to swap the trigger to a Timney, Jewell, or Trigger Tech immediately, as the factory lawyer-safe X-Mark Pro (piece of crap) will need to thrown into the trash bin. But with a Timney trigger, you'll still be in it for around the same money as the Sako you mentioned. These rifles come factory with a stainless receiver & jeweled bolt, 416R stainless 26" Sendero-contour 1:10 twist 5R-rifled barrel (they use the same exact barrel blanks as the M24 sniper rifles, but contoured differently), and a $400 HS Precision fiberglass stock (not a cheap factory plastic stock).

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...olt+Action+Centerfire/REM+700+5-R+300WM+26+SS

The Tikka and Sako only have 11 twist barrels. This will probably get to be an issue if you want to start shooting long range. For LR accuracy and performance you will probably want 200 gr. or heavier bullets. For those you need a 10 twist. American rifle come standard with 10 twist in 300 WM.

The SPS will require mods to be an effective LR rifle. So, that pretty much leaves the Savage. The Savage will be a LR performer that you could still carry as a hunting rifle, with no mods.

Due to the 5R barrel?

It's because of the barrels themselves, and the stocks they use. They use the same barrel blanks they use on the M24 sniper rifles. The only difference is that they contour them with the Sendero contour, instead of the M24 contour (like the sniper rifle). The rifling is also a great design. It is easy to clean, and doesn't really collect copper, so it takes a lot of shots to foul one before it needs cleaning. The stocks are real HS Precision fiberglass stocks ($400+ stocks) with full-length aluminum bed blocks. They are MUCH higher quality than what you will find on most other brands with synthetic plastic tupperware stocks.

Sako 85 finnlights have a known problem with ejecting the empty casings straight up into the scope and then bounce back into the receiver so you can't feed the next round.

The stocks on those Americans are greyboe(McMillan)but I was doing some research and that might be the best rifle for the money! I think your hit the nail on the head with that suggestion!

Go with the 5R. If that's out of the budget then go with a 700 long range. If you want lighter then go with a tikka.

I'm sure I'm going to go with that 700 American wilderness rifle.....5R cerakoted barrel, greyboe stock.....I think it'll be a good setup

Can't speak to the 5R. But my andevery other factory Remington barrel I have shot is a copper sponge. My 300Wm must be deep cleaned every 25 rounds to maintain accuracy. Perhaps every 50 now after a Tubbs treatment. Frankly I look at them as donor actions now. Wishing to burn out my 300Wm and rebarrel to a custom.

The 5R design is supposed to help with copper fouling.....so they say. I can't think for the life of me what this guy's name is, I think he's from texas, puts on shooting schools and what not but he is a big believer in not cleaning copper out until it starts effecting your shooting, I guess up to a point, fouling improves your shooting. I for one have always been big on cleaning it out after each trip to the range but 2 years ago I went along with his mindset and was getting 40-50 rounds in, just using solvent for cleaning and didn't really notice any issues with accuracy. Once I shot around 50 rounds, then I'd clean out the copper. It would take a couple over nighters wit wipe out to get the job done though....

Well, maybe I'm just lucky, But, with 3 different 5-r's, 223,308, & 300WM, these are the easiest to clean barrels of any (8 total), Remington 700's that I own......Idaho-5R

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.