There seems to be many options.....................

LISBON

I am seeing many postings of 28 caliber offerings and most (maybe not all) shoot a 180 grain bullet at around 2950 FPS.
280AI, 7mm Mag, 28 Nosler.
Others?
Is there a better option of the group?

If I wanted to shoot a 180 at 2950ish I would go 280 or 280AI in an action long enough to get the base of the bullet at or just below the neck. The only justification for this is brass price and availability, it's comparatively cheap and available. 284 Win in a standard action would also work (2850-2900ish) and Lapua brass is generally available. 7RM would be my next choice, again brass price and availability. 28 in my experience is going to be happier with the 180 closer to 3150, the large case wants slower powder and more of it. I have and shoot all of the above and like them all. Personally I top out the 280 and 284 with 160 class bullets and run the 180-195's in the 28. 28 brass is hideously expensive, good brass is anyway and that is why I put it last on the list. Finding the appropriate powders is WAY harder than getting the performance you want for the last couple years.....

The Sherman 7Max @3025 with 180 Hybrids &
the 7 STW @ 3030 with 180 Hybrids are two of the best in my opinion.

Last edited:
The 7/300wsm will do 2950 all day and never wear a piece of brass out....as will many other cartridges.

If you're only running factory ammo, 7mm mag would be your best option, followed by 280AI. If reloading, 7 saum is pretty hard to beat.

I am seeing many postings of 28 caliber offerings and most (maybe not all) shoot a 180 grain bullet at around 2950 FPS.
Others?

Course me being the normal odd man out I like the original hot rock Big 7 from back in the 50's and 60's the 7 Mashburn Super...:)

Others?
What do you want? I would probably start by asking myself why not 284 Winchester.

Headed down the 7 SAUM rabbit hole myself. Its in the final stages at Weaver Rifles, Peyton, CO, so Christmas is coming in the Spring for me this year. Up to now, the 280AI has been a favorite, but I'm going for a few ounces lighter with equal or better performance.