New 300WM.....too many options!

The 5R design is supposed to help with copper fouling.....so they say. I can't think for the life of me what this guy's name is, I think he's from texas, puts on shooting schools and what not but he is a big believer in not cleaning copper out until it starts effecting your shooting, I guess up to a point, fouling improves your shooting. I for one have always been big on cleaning it out after each trip to the range but 2 years ago I went along with his mindset and was getting 40-50 rounds in, just using solvent for cleaning and didn't really notice any issues with accuracy. Once I shot around 50 rounds, then I'd clean out the copper. It would take a couple over nighters wit wipe out to get the job done though....

Boots Obermeyer is the guy who invented 5R rifling. It does work like advertised. It is easier to clean, and goes longer between shots. I, like that guy you referred to in Texas, also believe in not cleaning your rifle until it starts throwing shots. Unnecessary cleaning can cause premature wear and unnecessary damage to your bore. Nobody in America loads with corrosive powder anymore, so you might as well just shoot it till it starts throwing shots. That's what I do. Sometimes 250-300 shots for my bolt guns.

I have two of the 5R 700's, and they are awesome rifles. My .308 Win goes over 200 rounds between cleanings. 5R is not a myth, it is well-proven.

Well, maybe I'm just lucky, But, with 3 different 5-r's, 223,308, & 300WM, these are the easiest to clean barrels of any (8 total), Remington 700's that I own......Idaho-5R

Yep... Same here. I own LOTS of 700's, mostly Senderos with the old 6-groove standard rifling. Once properly hand-lapped, they are easy to clean, but even then, they still collect more copper than the 5R barrels do in factory-form. It blew my mind the first time I cleaned my .308 Win (bought it new in 2010) and after only about 10 passes with the brush, then following with wet patch, I was pushing out clean patches. Taking my time and studying each patch, it was still only a 10 minute job. And that was the initial cleaning after my break-in 100 rounds. It's only been a 5-10 minutes job since then.

I also have several other rifles with 5R rifling, like a few AR's that I built with ultra-match quality barrels, and they are just as nice and easy to clean.

My philosophy on it is: Buy one and try one...So you can be a believer like the rest of us. :cool:

Look at the Weatherby Vanguards also. They have several models with upgraded stocks (Accumark is stainless #3, Back Country is Cerakot #2 fluted, and Wilderness is standard coating #2 fluted). I have a Wilderness in .270 and it's a great rifle. They come with an MOA guarantee if that means anything to you. Just other option for ya.

The Tikka and Sako only have 11 twist barrels. This will probably get to be an issue if you want to start shooting long range. For LR accuracy and performance you will probably want 200 gr. or heavier bullets. For those you need a 10 twist. American rifle come standard with 10 twist in 300 WM.

The SPS will require mods to be an effective LR rifle. So, that pretty much leaves the Savage. The Savage will be a LR performer that you could still carry as a hunting rifle, with no mods.

+1! I have a SAKO M995 in .300 WM with 1:11" twist (factory stock except for an MB install) and harvested a MT bull elk at 931 yards with 190 Berger VLD. Due to my elevation, I can also stabilized the 210s.

The Savage rifles simply rocks out of the box not to mention is the most DIY friendly.

With regards to 5R barrels, there are other rifle company that uses them too, Savage , TCs, etc ...

That's what's great about America, we still have plenty of choices; what you choose is a different story.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts