New 300 win. Mag. Need your input

Understand the wallet issue but shooting 190s sure is giving a lot back in performance when put up against the 215+ grain bullets.

I wholeheartedly agree on performance trebark. My situation doesn't allow me to shoot long or extended range. I have no access to anything longer than 300 at the present. The rifle was bought in hopes of a longer range session in the future so until and if that happens i can't justify the Bergers higher price for 300 yd. shooting. I have several thousand .308 bullets for my 30/06 and 308's so i am OK in the bullet dept. Maybe Sierra will find it in their infinite wisdom to put a tipped 190 out for us some day. So until that happens i am content with the 168 and 175 TMK along with 190 SMK's for the rifle. I envy you guys shooting long range. You are the fortunate ones on this site.

PS, this site/forum is the most helpful group in shooting/reloading i have seen.

Thanks, Sargesniper

How does the WIN, Primer compare to the FED. Primer? I think the FED is a hot one. Ever use them?

Winchester primers are normally hotter ... extracted of my Lyman reloading manual ...

ScannedImage-2_zps41be85b3.jpg

My order of preference for my .300 Win Mag is CCI250, FED215M, WLRM, and 9 1/2M.

Winchester primers are normally hotter ... extracted of my Lyman reloading manual ...

ScannedImage-2_zps41be85b3.jpg

My order of preference for my .300 Win Mag is CCI250, FED215M, WLRM, and 9 1/2M.

Sorry man, I did not say Mag. Primers. I will be loading for a 300 win. mag. and was referring to the 215 mag.primer. Was thinking Mag. Primer but did not specify. I have heard the Fed. was a bit hotter than the rest of the field.

I wholeheartedly agree on performance trebark. My situation doesn't allow me to shoot long or extended range. I have no access to anything longer than 300 at the present. The rifle was bought in hopes of a longer range session in the future so until and if that happens i can't justify the Bergers higher price for 300 yd. shooting. I have several thousand .308 bullets for my 30/06 and 308's so i am OK in the bullet dept. Maybe Sierra will find it in their infinite wisdom to put a tipped 190 out for us some day. So until that happens i am content with the 168 and 175 TMK along with 190 SMK's for the rifle. I envy you guys shooting long range. You are the fortunate ones on this site.

PS, this site/forum is the most helpful group in shooting/reloading i have seen.

Thanks, Sargesniper

300 is the long shot!? then speed is king! load the 168s and shoot them as fast as you can make them go! Nothin' like running a magnum like a hot rod!

You're right, this is an awesome forum and group of people. Like you, I've learned a ton here. Have managed to even meet a few people. All really nice and willing to help with whatever one might need.

300 is the long shot!? then speed is king! load the 168s and shoot them as fast as you can make them go! Nothin' like running a magnum like a hot rod!

You're right, this is an awesome forum and group of people. Like you, I've learned a ton here. Have managed to even meet a few people. All really nice and willing to help with whatever one might need.

I am not a particular "speed freak" so to speak as much as an "accuracy nut." I load for accuracy first and let the speed take care of itself. I have long range experience from a long time ago but it wasn't for pleasure as much as a necessity and I was using a very accurate WIN. Mod. 70 in 30/06. I much prefer pleasure shooting.

I am new to the 300 Mag. and will be asking loading questions in the coming months. Bear with me. I have never loaded a Mag. rifle cartridge in all my years. In all honesty i never had any use for one and did not care for them.

The 308's and 260 i am shooting have become boring to shoot because of their incredible accuracy. I thought something different might be challenging. So i have come full circle and willing to take on the challenge. I am sure it won't disappoint me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.