New 30/375 wildcat

Here is an update on "Mr. Quigley"!
I finally got a chance to shoot at distance in some good conditions at my friends 880 yard range. I have been a little frustrated with my bullets and found that the ballistic tips I was currently using don't like my rifle so I swithched back to the old ones and made a brand new bullet today. It is a 208 grain SXR with a b.c. of approx. .680. I will get the exact b.c. later. I loaded up a mild load with H1000 that grouped really well and zeroed at 100 yards. I then plugged in the estimated b.c. and ran off a drop chart from JBM and went to the range. When I got there, the wind was light and variable. I shot the first three and they went about 7" high and right with the wind and spin drift etc. I then corrected the elevation knob and fired three more. The wind had stopped and there was "DEAD CALM"! I had corrected for the earlier windage and forgot to readjust for the calm so the group went about 1 foot to the left, but check it out! I think I may have a load/rifle combo that will get the job done if the "DOPE", doping the wind, can do a better job!:D
DSCF0165.jpg

DSCF0168.jpg

I don't know Rich, that's not a sub .1 MOA group like I was seeing at 100 yards:D. J/k that's is amazing, there is no vertical, I'd be stoked to shoot that group at 300 yards let alone 880!!! And I think those new tips are working out well for you.:D

Rich are these bullets made out of copper and lead? What bullet press do you use? (if that's what it's called, guess what my new hobby might be :D)

Making my own bullets looks to expensive and complicated for my liking.:) I think I'll stick to Barnes:D. Anyway great shooting.

Update on case life for the S.I.
I have now put 460 rounds thru the rifle and am still on my first 50 brass. I will reach 500 which gives me 10 firings/case. Some of the cases were fired above max when I was doing early testing so loosened the primer pockets prematurely. I guess Hornady did a little better job with this new case than some of the older stuff. So far I am really pleased with the build in every sense. The problem is, I'm having so much fun that I may need a new barrel before I kill anything:D........Rich

Update on case life for the S.I.
I have now put 460 rounds thru the rifle and am still on my first 50 brass. I will reach 500 which gives me 10 firings/case. Some of the cases were fired above max when I was doing early testing so loosened the primer pockets prematurely. I guess Hornady did a little better job with this new case than some of the older stuff. So far I am really pleased with the build in every sense. The problem is, I'm having so much fun that I may need a new barrel before I kill anything:D........Rich

I have 50 new 375 ruger cases that i dont need now for my 7LRM if you want them? Was going to neck them down but never did. Let me know rich!

Thanks Midnight.....How much do you want for them?
Keep us informed on the LRM. It should be a great round......Rich

Oh $40 including shipping. If you want them i can send them out and you can just send me a check when you get a chance. If you want i can trade one piece of 375 ruger for a 7 LRM so that i have a case for comparison and so do you? This is a good deal...to tell you the truth i think your pretty cool rich. So im giving them to you pretty cheap. My 7LRM will be back from ceracoating and getting custom rings on thursday and i will update my post by next weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.