New 260 Remington build..

danny911

This year I took on a new long range hunting and shooting project. I have my share of barrel burners and an ole bud kept praising the 260 Remmie.

So here we go. The specs. I took my sons 243 Model 700 youth model Walmart bought rifle and had it stripped down, squared, blue printed, whatever magic my very good smith does here in my area. Gostompski's just does great work. Krieger sendero contour barrel, rifle basix trigger at 1.5 lbs, Manners T4 Elite Shell stock, hinged floor plate metal, Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Scope. Weighs in at 11.5.

I have a bunch of various grain 6.5 bullets and started with the 123 amax. It took me awhile to find my accuracy node and when I did found that 38 grains of Varget at 2.237 OAL with comparator tool produced a 100 yard 3 shot group in one tight hole. What was equally impressive was the 5fps deviation. Velocity was low, averaging 2750. Yes, it was only 3 shots. I have more test loads made up to test today. I hope I can reproduce the results.

I tried the following run of loads and almost all produced decent results.

Row 1 H4350
43.1 grain 2.24"

Row 2 Varget
38 grain 2.237"

Row 3 IMR 4831
43.5 grain 2.234"

Row 4 IMR 4895
35 grain 2.231"

Row 5 IMR 4320
36 grain 2.228"

Row 6 Ramshot Hunter
46 grain 2.225"

I have yet as of today found anything Ramshot Hunter shoots well with. My new loads I'm testing today start at 38gr. and bump up in .3 grain increments to 39.2. I will post results as soon as I can. Pictures coming soon. Next will be the 123 Lapua Scenar, and 140 SST and AMax.

Looks like a shooter! Did you get an 8" twist barrel? If so, try the Berger 140's...I hear they are an excellent choice for the 6.5's.

One day I will build my .260 AI...But right now it's not in the budget. And I have promised myself that I won't stray any longer, until I finally build my .280 AI. So that one will be the next build on my list. I have put it off and deviated from my original plan too many times now. LOL

It's a 1:8. I tinkered with them and plan on going back to try again. I am a little concerned I will have a box length issue. Heading to the range now.

Dude, why do anything else? That group, assuming it can be repeated, is everything you can hope for. Is that load too slow? Well, just remember "you can't miss fast enough." That looks awesome to me.

This year I took on a new long range hunting and shooting project. I have my share of barrel burners and an ole bud kept praising the 260 Remmie.

So here we go. The specs. I took my sons 243 Model 700 youth model Walmart bought rifle and had it stripped down, squared, blue printed, whatever magic my very good smith does here in my area. Gostompski's just does great work. Krieger sendero contour barrel, rifle basix trigger at 1.5 lbs, Manners T4 Elite Shell stock, hinged floor plate metal, Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Scope. Weighs in at 11.5.

I have a bunch of various grain 6.5 bullets and started with the 123 amax. It took me awhile to find my accuracy node and when I did found that 38 grains of Varget at 2.237 OAL with comparator tool produced a 100 yard 3 shot group in one tight hole. What was equally impressive was the 5fps deviation. Velocity was low, averaging 2750. Yes, it was only 3 shots. I have more test loads made up to test today. I hope I can reproduce the results.

I tried the following run of loads and almost all produced decent results.

Row 1 H4350
43.1 grain 2.24"

Row 2 Varget
38 grain 2.237"

Row 3 IMR 4831
43.5 grain 2.234"

Row 4 IMR 4895
35 grain 2.231"

Row 5 IMR 4320
36 grain 2.228"

Row 6 Ramshot Hunter
46 grain 2.225"

I have yet as of today found anything Ramshot Hunter shoots well with. My new loads I'm testing today start at 38gr. and bump up in .3 grain increments to 39.2. I will post results as soon as I can. Pictures coming soon. Next will be the 123 Lapua Scenar, and 140 SST and AMax.
Nice rig and great shooting. I really like your shooting rest/mat as well. Is that made from a piece of conveyor belt?

Had a bad day shooting today. Not a repeat and kick myself in the *** for it. Forgot my sled and shot off of a bipod and jacket for back rest. So I am hoping that was the issue. The speed don't bother me. I may have hit another node at 39.2 but won't know until I go back out with my sled. Standard deviation was almost single digit and 2870 fps average.

I have a factory savage barrel cut to 22" and I am getting 3095 +/- 10fps with the 123 amax and re17. With a 24" shilen we are getting 3050 with the same powder/bullet. I had a heck of a time getting 140s (berger) to shoot in my gun.

Is there a purpose to having two bubble levels, or can you just not see the one built into the mount while firing? Maybe one for you and one for your spotter to double check?

Nice rig, I bet your son really likes his rifle now.

Correct, can't see the one on the rail easily. I leveled the scope and bubble on scope together. Then leveled both bubbles together.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.