260 rem or 308 win for new build

I really appreciate all the info.. It's going to be built on a savage mdl 12 action I have and I know I can get pre fit barrels for I seen that McGowen chamber both of the rounds is there anyway I can go with the pre fit barrels

I have a 6.5-284 built on a savage action with a mcgowen prefit shooting half moa at 800 yards. That is the furthest I have shot it where I could check my hits and measure them. I like the barrel enough that I ordered another of their barrels for another build. They are running behind some right now. I ordered my barrel in january and got it last week.

If I go with 260 or the 260ai will I need to go with a 1/8 twist barrel to shoot the. Heavier bullets

A 8.5 twist will do everything you need it to do with less torque and a touch more speed.Either twist will work.

For paper and ringing steel out to 1000, I have put 1500 - 2000 rounds through my off the shelf Savage in the last two years. As others have said, excellent BC bullets (I use 140 gr VLD), easy recoil, and easy to reload for. Barrel life won't be as good as a 308, but still pretty good.

I have two identical builds in 260 Rem and 308, Sako TRGs. I shoot to 1000 yards frequently. I find the 260 easier to shoot well (more consistent), much less susceptible to the wind past 600 yards, easier to spot impacts, and more fun to shoot. It seems to be in the sweet spot for accuracy, recoil, cost/ease of reloading, and barrel life. Shooting it suppressed is about as sweet as shooting gets, in my opinion!

My buddy shoots a 7mm RM with 168 Bergers at 3100, very impressive ballistics. The 260 does a pretty good job of keeping up with his 7mm at distance, with much less noise and recoil. He admits the 260 is very easy to shoot well. He has shot his best group ever with the 260, 5 shots in the .2s.

Here is a 100 yard target from the PTS Spring Match with 1 and 3/8 inch circles, center bonus target includes 1 inch circle with cross hair. I shot it in about 60 seconds under time pressure. Closest shot to center of crosshair on bonus card won a special prize (somebody center punched it). There was a left to right crosswind, and I could not see the holes in the black while shooting at 14 power against the berm. I don't think I would have been as consistent with my 308. If you have only shot groups and not dot drills, it is kind of challenging. This one was even harder because you could not see your bullet impacts. It can be pretty frustrating trying to be consistent. The 260 seems to be very repeatable and bucks the wind well at distance.

Go with the 260!

TKAB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I battled with this decision back in January. The deciding factor at the time was bullet availability. 308's were non existent, but I always saw 6.5's on the shelf. Brass on the other hand was a different story. I necked up some 243 brass for now, and will eventually buy some Lapua.

I opted to build on a 110 action so I wouldn't be limited by mag length. I ordered a 24" 8 twist from Criterion and a McMillan Game Scout. Both should be in by July. A Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA will top it off.

Like everyone else said.......go with a 260.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.