260 build

Not the 6.5-06 though on that action right? Aren't the current ones all short action?

It is a short action, but it is also a single action. You will be able to load anything from a 17 Rem Fireball to a 338 Lapua on the target action. It will eject empty casings w/o issue. You will have to pull the bolt for loaded rounds on the long action calibers. Being a single shot and the ease of pulling the bolt, I find it a non issue. My cousin has a right bolt-left port configuration in 338 Lapua. Shoots fine, and ejects empties w/o issue. My next build when I buy another action will more than likely be the right bolt- left feed, right eject. I really like that action.

Tank

It is a short action, but it is also a single action. You will be able to load anything from a 17 Rem Fireball to a 338 Lapua on the target action. It will eject empty casings w/o issue. You will have to pull the bolt for loaded rounds on the long action calibers. Being a single shot and the ease of pulling the bolt, I find it a non issue. My cousin has a right bolt-left port configuration in 338 Lapua. Shoots fine, and ejects empties w/o issue. My next build when I buy another action will more than likely be the right bolt- left feed, right eject. I really like that action.

Tank

I didn't know you could go that large. Good to know. I really like the left/right port action too. Still trying to decide if I want a single shot for big game hunting purposes like I want for my varmint guns. I really like the LRP(V) actions, just wish they would make one in a long action repeater. Then I would have everything I want!

I didn't know you could go that large. Good to know. I really like the left/right port action too. Still trying to decide if I want a single shot for big game hunting purposes like I want for my varmint guns. I really like the LRP(V) actions, just wish they would make one in a long action repeater. Then I would have everything I want!

You could buy a Stevens LA and that would give you your repeater. All Savage upgrades will fit the Stevens. You will have to put an aftermarket trigger on it for the comp grade triggers like the Target Accu-trigger. They will fit the same stocks as the Savage also.

As far as a repeater, I tried that route and really isn't necessary for long range stuff. Sometimes you have time to shoot and reload several times depending on the target. Groundhogs can give you two or three shots sometimes. With the left feed- right eject, you will be able to reload pretty quickly with some practice. The guys that do bench rest are pretty proficient with those type of actions. You think they shoot a semi auto. 10rnds in about 30seconds or less. It's pretty impressive.

Tank

The only thing is that you are going to have to buy the barrel to get what you want. That is why I suggest you look into buying the exact same action for less, put the barrel of your choice on it, and buy the stock of your choice.

Tank

Are you talking about velocity here? I talked to my local shop today and they said they would take a straight trade for my AR and give me the dies and maybe some bullets too so I'm really thinking I'm going to go this rout. the gun show is next weekend so I will most likely try and sell there first but if there's no takers then I just do the trade. In reality I'm only into the AR for about $600 so we'll see.

Are you talking about velocity here? I talked to my local shop today and they said they would take a straight trade for my AR and give me the dies and maybe some bullets too so I'm really thinking I'm going to go this rout. the gun show is next weekend so I will most likely try and sell there first but if there's no takers then I just do the trade. In reality I'm only into the AR for about $600 so we'll see.

Are you buying a Savage already chambered for the 260? If that's the case, then go for it. Shoot it until you need a new barrel.

Tank

Last edited:
Heads up, just read an article in Shooting times magazine. It's titled "Savage, Made-To-Order .260." The author called Savage and custom ordered a rifle in the caliber of his choice. The price varies with the configuration. His was a Mod 16 w/ 22" fluttted stainless w/ 1:8 twist in .260Rem. This is perfect for the 140 grain bullet. He also got it with an accu-stock. He says you call Savage at 800-370-0708 and talk to Effie Sullivan. She apparently knows her stuff and will make sure you get what you ask for. You have several different barrel styles to pic from.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.