Need Your Advice - Which 30-06?

Saskquatch6

I've been looking for a used left hand rifle for my son for some time now - it'll be a working rifle, so nothing fancy. Will be used for everything from antelope to elk. I just found 2 for same price (condition of both is excellent):
(1) Savage 111 -30-06 -22" bbl, 3-9 Vortex Diamondback
(2) Ruger American -30-06 -22" bbl, 3-9 Zeiss Terra
I have not owned or shot either model. For those familiar, your opinions would be valued. Which would you buy? -S6

Last edited:
Savage, but only because it will be much easier to move forward with that rifle. If you had to keep them in their original format, it might be a toss up, but both of them come with garbage stocks and triggers. When you get around to it, the options available for upgrading the Savage will be plentiful and inexpensive, and you'll be very limited with the Ruger..

Savage it is! Thanks everyone for your feedback on this -score looks like now 9-2 for Savage. While they're both good rifles, the ability to build and modify in the future (as many of you stated) certainly favours the Savage. Will be making seller a fair offer tonight and hopefully add a new Savage 111 to the stable. Ps - owner says rifle/scope are pristine and at most 8 shots (factory) down barrel - gotta love that.😉. Thanks again - stay safe

Last edited:
Well interesting - after agreeing on a price on the LH Savage 111 30-06, I was in process of arranging shipping and received a text from seller that he had just sold to a local buyer instead. Disappointed, but thankfully no money had yet changed hands. Then a couple of days after I came across a new Savage 16 Weather Warrior 300WSM LH for a great price in small shop in old home town and actually is preferred cartridge. So still Savage just better. Thanks again to all for feedback.

Last edited:
Well interesting - after agreeing on a price on the LH Savage 111 30-06, I was in process of arranging shipping and received a text from seller that he had just sold to a local buyer instead. Disappointed, but thankfully no money had yet changed hands. Then a couple of days after I came across a new Savage 16 Weather Warrior 300WSM LH for a great price in small shop in old home town and actually is preferred cartridge. So still Savage just better. Thanks again to all for their feedback.
That weather warrior in 300wsm will make you a great rifle. If you only had to have one factory rifle for all north American big game, that's not a bad one to have. I'll bet it's a shooter too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts