Need some help please

F class sounds like you need a 308, for what you want to do.
In the F-T/R division, caliber options are limited to standard .223 Rem. or .308 Win.
Find an old shooter and pick his brain on what set up you need. There is another class of shooting ...F class open. I forget the full name but then you can have more selection of cartridges for "competition". You gotta find a mentor, as previously mentioned. It will take time and effort and money to get good out to 1000.
Also, the old shooters here are extremely well versed. I am a novice. The stuff you will learn here is unprecedented...and humbling.
Rock on.

Please consider a 7MM-08 for what you are wanting to do. Its in a sweet spot for both, but there are fewer choices in factory rifles available.

Thanks for the info. My reloading skills are zero, never done it before. Im looking at getting into reloading shotgun as me and my oldest son got into trap and skeet shooting and $100 a case lasts one weekend.

As for the f class competition, i just want to go and have fun, i know i won'tbe competitive, but its been a dream of my for decades to shoot out to 1000 yards.

I wasnt thinking of a magnum as i heard they pack quite the punch.
boils down to budget looks like...so...308 will work and has been used for years but for elk you will have to limit yourself to maximum range like 3-400 max ethically speaking. .300 wm would be good for longer ranges but may need brake for recoil. not everyone can take the recoil especially new shooters. if you have a shooting friend you could try theirs before you buy, or shop used and experiment until you find a fit. it is a process you grow with....

If I was starting out again with a first rifle, it would be the 30-06. For hunting up to elk up to 500 yards, I don't feel handicapped at all. For further shots, I prefer the 300 Win Mag. For competition shooting, you probably want a different rifle than one primarily used for hunting.

Firemandivi,
If you haven't been welcomed aboard; then Welcome! Hope you find everything you're looking for here and your new "itch" is scratched.
I read your post and all the replies and pondered it for a few moments. Lots of good advice and your situation isn't that unique in and of itself. Heck, lots of folks want what your looking for, me included (and I've got several already!) LoL. Always room for more!
I looked at a few websites and I think a Browning of some sort maybe something you should consider. I am not normally a Browning fan, my Dad was, so I have his (BPS & BLR). Browning has a few models in your price range, with calibers and barrel lengths that would be conducive to your needs.
The AB3 Hunter, X-bolt Stalker LR, Composite Stalker, X-bolt Hunter & Stainless Stalker all have a good selection of calibers with barrels long enough to wring out the performance needed for F-class competition and putting down an elk. I've never hunted for elk (or competed in F-class) but they're big beast compared to the smallish whitetails that I hunt for. Most any cartridge will work when used within it limitations.
Let us know what you decide and I'm sure we can continue to help you along. Cheers!

The ballistics chart I have provided here should help you make a decision where you take into consideration the COMPARISONS you will have to deali with :

RECOIL Factor

RECOIL ENERGY ( ft lbs )

RECOIL VELOCITY (fps)

BULLET WEIGHT

MUZZLE VELOCITY

BULLET"S Traveling VELOCITY AT 1000 Yards or more

BULLET"S SUCEPTIBILTY TO WIND DRIFT

Considering the 6.5 PRC performance there are many rifles of differing weights
you will have to carrys. I think TIKKA , AND or the SAUER 100-Fieldshoot both
offer a 24 inch barrel. Barrel length contributes about 30 fps per inch velocity which
may be the reason for many manufacturers going to a shorter length especially when bull barrel weight is considered. The PRC 6.5 projectile is more like unto a magnum cartridge for performance yet it will not burn out your barrel causing a shortened barrel life. Performance accuracy for both the 6.5 Creedmore or the 6.5 PRC are superior to the .308. For hunting however, the PRC round for me, is more ethically satisfying knowing it can knock down a Bull Elk with authority. It is IMHO a more capable round but definitely a more ethical round since I have the moral responsibility for a clean kill. These are decisions a bow hunter is well familiar with. I also love the Begara HR but on the heavier side for me. Saying this is not to minimize other calibers which are powerful rounds for hitting power, I just don't want to deal with the recoil, while being able to enjoy the additional benefits of the 6.5 caliber

Bear in mind that if you have any kind of muscle movement (the thickness of a human hair or piece of paper) prior or during the shot you will be off you desired point of impact by 1 MOA. This PRC round is a performance beast when you consider long distance shooting and therefore can be a more forgiving round when you are observant of your 'respiratory pause' being part of 'your natural point of aim' and disciplined 'trigger contro'l Recoil can mess a shot up also. This forum has numerous men who are serious competitors and as one man offered to mentor you I would not hesitate. It is a great sport and the learning curve is continuous and above all fun. When the 6.5 PRC is reputed to be rated 7th out of 88 cartriges for superior performance with wind drift. My money is on that.

Norwegians and the Germans make superb rifles. Sauer has been building them since 1791.

B

Attachments

• 6.5 PRC ballistic comparisons copy.pdf
    272.5 KB · Views: 21
I'm extremely new to hunting with rifles, in fact I've never hunted with a rifle before. I hunt with a bow and shotgun depending on the season. I'm getting into rifles now as I have the time and a little extra money to do it.

I'm looking for a rifle for deer, black bear and elk (if possible), but also capable of shooting for fun at f-class competitions up to 1,000 yards.

I've been looking at the Tikka CTR in 308 but it only comes with a 20" barrel which supposedly only losses about 100fps vs a 24" barrel. Not sure about accuracy and bullet stability though.

I would like to stay around $1,200 for the rifle because glass, bipod and a new stock add up quick. I have been searching the internet and am overloaded with info. Everyone has a different opinion of what is best, for long range shooting 6.5 creedmore is loved these days, but hunting elk with it is not looked favorably upon. While the 308 is an older cartridge and not as good for long distance but for hunting is still a very popular cartridge.

I'm leaning towards a 308 as it has proven capable for long distance shooting and is a very common hunting cartridge. But is a 20" barrel long enough for a 308? There seems to be less long distance rifles made in 308 these days, I can only assume because of the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore, but why are the 308's coming out with 20" long barrels, while the 6.5 creedmore have 24" barrels?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Last edited:
Before you buy anything read, read, read. I suggest Craig Boddington's the Accurate Rifle and Rifleman. Wayne Van Zwoll's Hunter's Guide to Long-Range Shooting and Layne Simpson's Rifles and Catridges for Large Game. These three gentlemen are contemporary authorities who's experience and opinions can be trusted. Enjoy the hunt and the processes leading to it.

Before you buy anything read, read, read. I suggest Craig Boddington's the Accurate Rifle and Rifleman. Wayne Van Zwoll's Hunter's Guide to Long-Range Shooting and Layne Simpson's Rifles and Catridges for Large Game. These three gentlemen are contemporary authorities who's experience and opinions can be trusted. Enjoy the hunt and the processes leading to it.

First: welcome to the forum! You will get a lot of sage advice from the members here.
I like your idea of a .308 for your first rifle. In a time when ammunition cost and availability to non reloaders is an issue, this makes sense as a rifle you can do many things with. This caliber has a reputation for accuracy, long barrel life and readily available ammunition with moderate recoil.
I am a lifetime shooter in many disciplines and shoot many calibers. Starting out, you can acquire skills which are different than using a shotgun. There are many choices in factory rifles that perform well and that is a personal choice matter.
Have fun with your choices!

THIS !!!!!