New here, need some help

milanuk

Hello, all.

Slow night at work, so I've been trolling the older messages in the off times. Yeeaowza! What a trove of knowledge! Think I'll hang around a bit ;)

I've got a situation here that is just plumb driving me up a wall trying to make sense of it.

My neighbor has a new Howa M1500 heavy barrel gun w/ a laminated target stock, wearing a 6-24x Sightron scope. I donated the .308 Win brass, some Nosler 150gr Partitions, and the RCBS 'Reloader Special' dies (i.e. the cheap ones w/o a box) from an aborted project I had a while back. He's loaded up some (IIRC) Nosler 125gr BTs and started shooting them.

The first weird thing is that after getting the gun to print on target where he wanted (~1.5-2.0" high)at 100 yds, he began shooting at 200. The bullet impact was actually *higher* (~2.0-3.0")at 200 than at 100! Then he shot at 300, and the bullets did drop, but not nearly what I would think they should, maybe only a couple inches if that, from point of aim. This is a bit weird by everything I've ever learned about 'zeroing' rifles. If the thing is a little hight at 100, it should drop to be 'on' at 200, and some amount low, depending on load, at 300. I've discussed this w/ him and a few other local shooters, and nobody seemed to really have any good idea why it did this, other than 'it must have still been rising'. I've seen this a little when a gun was zeroed for some ungodly range way the heck and gone out there, but not something simple like a 200yd zero. Hopefully we will be able to put this gun (as well as my 40X in .220 Swift) into service this spring on the area ground hogs. I'd just like to know why the gun doesn't shoot quite the way I'd expected it to ;)

TIA,

Monte

milanuk

Welcome to Long Range Hunting

On the 125 Noslers.

I'd guess he's getting over 3000fps with the 125 and depending on the scope height the 200 yard come-up would be 1.4 inches or less. This means that if he's got a very accurate/exact center of group at 2 inches high at 100 yards he'll still be 1.2 inches high at 200. If he's sending the 125 faster than 3000 or hhis 100 yards group is a little off (higher) he could easily be 2 to 3 inches high at 200 yards. His 300 yard groups will probably be about 5 inches low I'd guess.

Can you get the actual velocity for this load and rifle?

I'll try. Hopefully this weekend we'll be able to get together at the range. I have a chronograph and some ballistics software; he's been wanting me to work up some drop charts for his .223 Bushmaster carbine as well. I also want to see if he can make repeat on the group he got last time he shot it... 1/2"@300yds!! It'll be interesting to see if it can consistently group that well.

Thanks,

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.