Need some help please

Plenty of advice sprinkled in already. Just a few things, one has to consider the % of hunting deer, bear, elk, whatever. Since you live in NY, I'd wager deer would be 85+% of the hunting.

Then touching on range shooting & lite competition, one needs to walk 1st. For Midwest/NY deer hunting in cover, I'd limit it to a mid-weight, no more that 22" barreled rifle. That would be plenty for elk too.

One can easily go to the range & practice all you want, even if the rifle isn't ideal for 'F-class'.

I wouldn't go bigger than a 30-06, the 308 is one of my favorites. Later on one can delve into ideal bullets for certain game.

My favorite rifle for what you're talking about is a lightweight, 20" barreled rifle in 284 Winchester. Of course one's not gonna find ammo at Walmart for it.

I'm extremely new to hunting with rifles, in fact I've never hunted with a rifle before. I hunt with a bow and shotgun depending on the season. I'm getting into rifles now as I have the time and a little extra money to do it.

I'm looking for a rifle for deer, black bear and elk (if possible), but also capable of shooting for fun at f-class competitions up to 1,000 yards.

I've been looking at the Tikka CTR in 308 but it only comes with a 20" barrel which supposedly only losses about 100fps vs a 24" barrel. Not sure about accuracy and bullet stability though.

I would like to stay around $1,200 for the rifle because glass, bipod and a new stock add up quick. I have been searching the internet and am overloaded with info. Everyone has a different opinion of what is best, for long range shooting 6.5 creedmore is loved these days, but hunting elk with it is not looked favorably upon. While the 308 is an older cartridge and not as good for long distance but for hunting is still a very popular cartridge.

I'm leaning towards a 308 as it has proven capable for long distance shooting and is a very common hunting cartridge. But is a 20" barrel long enough for a 308? There seems to be less long distance rifles made in 308 these days, I can only assume because of the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore, but why are the 308's coming out with 20" long barrels, while the 6.5 creedmore have 24" barrels?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
The 308 Win will do your 1000 yd shoot in F class, but not as effective as the 6.5 CM. Since you are a bow hunter, you are accustomed to getting close to game animals. Both the fore mentioned rounds will take the animals you listed effectively up to 300 yds., Perhaps further with a little luck. I own the two mentioned here, but like my 300 Win Mag for big animals. It will handle the 1000 yd shoot as well.

I'm extremely new to hunting with rifles, in fact I've never hunted with a rifle before. I hunt with a bow and shotgun depending on the season. I'm getting into rifles now as I have the time and a little extra money to do it.

I'm looking for a rifle for deer, black bear and elk (if possible), but also capable of shooting for fun at f-class competitions up to 1,000 yards.

I've been looking at the Tikka CTR in 308 but it only comes with a 20" barrel which supposedly only losses about 100fps vs a 24" barrel. Not sure about accuracy and bullet stability though.

I would like to stay around $1,200 for the rifle because glass, bipod and a new stock add up quick. I have been searching the internet and am overloaded with info. Everyone has a different opinion of what is best, for long range shooting 6.5 creedmore is loved these days, but hunting elk with it is not looked favorably upon. While the 308 is an older cartridge and not as good for long distance but for hunting is still a very popular cartridge.

I'm leaning towards a 308 as it has proven capable for long distance shooting and is a very common hunting cartridge. But is a 20" barrel long enough for a 308? There seems to be less long distance rifles made in 308 these days, I can only assume because of the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore, but why are the 308's coming out with 20" long barrels, while the 6.5 creedmore have 24" barrels?

Well there are going to be a lot of opinions on what they think that you want. The 6.5 CM is primarily a match round that has had a lot of notice as a hunting round. It is however a bit deficient when it comes to energy at hunting ranges. Doesn't take much to punch a hole in paper, but a Deer or Elk is a lot tougher than a piece of paper. A 270 kicks the 6.5's butt out to around 600 yards and is an excellent Deer/Elk cartridge but there is currently no match ammo or bullets available for reloading. Not that many of the hunting bullets are lacking in accuracy. My Tikka T3X shoots sum MOA groups all day with Nosler Partitions, but shoots even smaller groups with pointed soft points or all copper bullets. A good overall choice would be a Tikka T3X Varmint chambered for 30-06. Model TFTT3119A10C0G4B comes with a longer barrel 23.7 inches and a heavy varmint weight barrel. The 30-06 has been around since 1906 (116 years). Ammo is readily available almost everywhere in a variety of bullets from 110 to 220 grain. There are a great variety of bullets available for reloading for anything you want to do including awesome match grade bullets. 1000 yards is an easy shot for the 30-06 and with the right ammo is great for use on anything on the North American Continent and most of what is out there all over the world. You might have some trouble locating this rifle but even if it has to be ordered and you have to wait it will be worth the wait.

The 6.5 PRC is a better choice than the excellent 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Winchester.
The recoil of the 6.5 PRC is about the same as a 30-06.

QUOTE:
"In October 2017, U.S. Special Operations Command tested the performance of the 7.62x51 NATO, .260 Remington, and 6.5 CM cartridges out of SR25, M110A1, and Mk20 sniper rifles. SOCOM determined that the 6.5CM performed the best, doubling hit probability at 1,000 meters, increasing effective range by nearly half, reducing wind drift by a third and having less recoil than the 7.62 NATO rounds…"

Thank you for all the advice and I will be buying and reading "The Accurate Rifle...and Rifleman" before I buy any rifle. I'm still leaning towards the 308 but may do a 300wm with a brake on it. I did mention I want to shoot f-class competition but its for fun only. I'm 43 with 3 kids and I have wanted to shoot long distance for literally decades and I'm finally at a point in my life when I can afford to do it. I know there is no rifle that can do everything but I'm thinking the 308 or 300wm will do enough to get me where I want to be. I'll keep reading and continue to save as I know the more I read the more money I'll end up spending. Thanks again for the help and advice, I really do appreciate it.

It's a bit of a tall order for both priorities. I believe F Class is 308 win and unlimited you can choose whatever cartridge. I hunt with a 30-06, but my buddy has taken most of his elk with a 308 Win and 168 gr Partition. His range limit is 300 yards. You could get the Tikka with 20" barrel and try the F Class for fun. If that's something you get serious about then I'd get another 308 Win barrel with 1-10" or 1-9" twist and much longer. Serious F Class guys are using 30-32" barrels with their 308 Win. The nice thing about Tikka's is their tolerances are tight. You could just swap barrels and check headspace. Then off to the range or hunting once sighted in.

.270 Winchester :D
Cheaper Ammo

.270 WINCHESTER RIFLES :D
Price: Low to High

Savage makes it easy to change barrels and not difficult to change the bolt face for standard or magnum. The one with a stock (chassis) that can handle bull barrels so any barrel will be useful (learn to change barrels: easy). Buy the rifle with a 308 varmint weight barrel. Shelin and others make barrels threaded and ready to drop in. To do all you mention, reloading is a must...

7mm Remington Magnum :D
Ammo

RIFLES 7mm Remington Magnum
Price: High to Low

That reloading rabbit hole is deep. It will take you to a different level in a number of areas. Most of the guys on this forum will help you along the way if you decide to get jump in. The initial hit to your bank account is a little tough, but worth it.
I agree. I have been reloading for 35 years and.... every once in a while... I learn something that can benefit my skills or processes. It takes considerable time to get the correct experience and, in my opinion, a never ending desire to shrink that group and try to "embrace the wobble" (reticle wobble).

I'd be getting a 270 Winchester.... plenty of options in factory ammo, found almost everywhere, easy to shoot and accurate, and it's performance on game is impressive. Sure, other cartridges offer more in certain areas, but few are better all round.

Hard choice! Shooting F class can take a lot of funds to get set up. Components for reloading are hard to come by presently. So I am saying is a rabbit hole in reloading. I love it, because of what you can create. Surf the net, read and learn about what it takes to reload and shoot "F" class.
Bottom line is there are rifles that come with muzzle brake on, and out of the box. So read, it's cheap and only takes time, not money.
Put together a list or input on what people are doing, and equipment they are using. It will take some time, but may save you some money in the long run.
We all will be watching, and try to answer your question. As you can see now.