Need some help...

birdie9of18

I am trying to put together a stock long range rifle. I am leaning toward the Tikka T3 in 300wm. I also like the 7mm STW(not sure of which man I would go with on this hough)...at least from what I have read. I will be using his as my all around hunting rifle for Deer and Elk out to 800yds or so. I will be ramping it up as my shooting comes back. I have not shot long range for a while and I am pretty rusty. Course for you guys my long range was never really all that long...700yds or so with an M16.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Spencer

Either cartridge will easily do what you want to 1000 yards.

The 300 WM w/190 or 210g VLD bullet will perform great, as well as the 180g VLD out of the 7 STW. Either is a toss up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i would say any of the calibers you mentioned would be good loaded properly. to me (if i was just starting out) the more important question what rifle and scope ?

Thanks for the input guys!

Right now I am leaning toward the 300wm in the Tikka with a NF NXS...still deciding on which one though. I have about $1800-$2000 to spend so I am trying to get a good rifle and a great scope. I may have to change the scope a little but, from what I have been able to find I should be able to get this set-up in that price range.

Any thoughts??

i had a night force (not nxs)i sold it and a got a mk4leup. i would reccomend a sendero or laredo. they have a 26" barrel. have a vais installed and adjust the trigger you are ready to go. roninflag

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the input guys!

Right now I am leaning toward the 300wm in the Tikka with a NF NXS...still deciding on which one though. I have about $1800-$2000 to spend so I am trying to get a good rifle and a great scope. I may have to change the scope a little but, from what I have been able to find I should be able to get this set-up in that price range.

Any thoughts??

[/ QUOTE ]
The 300 is for sure the direction I would go you have more versatility. I am a fan of Tikka but the stock ones like a lot of companies have gone to the shorter barrels , if it were me I would try to find a 26 inch barrels rifle. the rem sendaro although I don't have any experience with them many here on LRH have them and like them. I'm not sure but you might check and see if CZ make one that fits for you.They are very good guns. Then there is weatherby but these are a little pricey however the accumark is a good rifle.

I like the NF for clicks adjustment( can't beat them) but I tend towards sighting off at least in a hunting rifle, so I feel the leupold's are a better choice for me I use the B&C reticles which are great as long as you go figure out what the results are according to your actual ballistics don't use the general stuff that leupold supplies. The price is much more affordable.
Good luck
Rh

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.