Need some help please

I did a search on how far could snipers make with a 308win and so far the record was by Sgt James Gilliland of the 3rd infantry division in Ramadi in 2005 at 1250 meters he killed his shooter.Thats 1,367.017 yards.Saved countless soldiers from being injured or killed.
308 can do it and just posting at an F-class shoot would be a hoot.Go get em buddy!
Oh,by the way Orkan knows what he is talking about,sharp guy and respected member of this forum

I have shot probably 1000 12 ga slugs. My 300 weatherby with a muzzle brake kicks more like a light 20 ga load. Muzzle brakes are amazing. I have one on my 50 bmg. My lovely wife who is 5' 2" and 130 lbs ahoots it all the time with a brake on it. Kinda like a.....heavy 12 ga BB load. Certainly not a 12 ga slug!!. My advice is to ask fellow shooters to shoot their 300 wm rifles, or 7 rem mag or 280 with a brake. Most of the magnums with brakes kick less than a 308 thats not brakes. Add a suppressor to any of the above and they become absolutely a ***** cat. Except the 50. With a suppressor on that ......it will get your attention. Lol.

I've never fired a magnum before. 12 gauge slugs have some kick and a few boxes of them and i can feel it in my shoulder. Im thinking a magnum while it would be better for what i want would be a but much for me. How does the kick on 300 win mag compare to a 1 ounce slug?
I've shot a lot of the slugs both in pumps and Benelli M4's. The M4 is recoil not gas so it eats a little recoil and not close to a gas gun. I would say in a 18" 870 the slug has more recoil. The important thing is it is totally different. The slug is heavy and semi sharp, and the rifle tends to be much sharper and quicker and less heavy. I am not recoil shy and shoot magnums up to a 300 RUM in a 9lb rifle pushing 180's at 3400. That being said my adult son says he wants to try hunting. I want to get him a 7RM, 300WM, or a 300WSM if I have to. I will down load them to 06 level until he wants more recoil. The best thing you can do is swap out to a quality recoil pad. I am a big fan of Sims and they help a little.

If you are looking at one cartridge, AND will be reloading, the 300 WM is hard to beat. Load down to 06 but can stoke it up to a fire breathing dragon. The 300WM can toss the heavier higher BC bullets for down range performance. You can shoot pretty much everything in NA within reason. If you are shooting 12GA you are already there with recoil.

308 is often a mistake.
Can you expound on this comment? I understand if you are targeting prairie dogs on the plains, but for hunting and shooting your first center fire rifle I am not sure what is wrong with the 308. He is not currently reloading, so some boutique cartridges would not seem to be appropriate.

If you are looking at one cartridge, AND will be reloading, the 300 WM is hard to beat. Load down to 06 but can stoke it up to a fire breathing dragon. The 300WM can toss the heavier higher BC bullets for down range performance. You can shoot pretty much everything in NA within reason. If you are shooting 12GA you are already there with recoil.
The OP has already said he does not reload and this will be his first centerfire rifle.
I can't imagine how referencing 50 BMG could do anything helpful to a newbie to rifle shooting.

Many good calibers for hunting,maybe not so many for 1000 yds.
In my humble opinion the 6.5 creedmoor is too light for elk hunting, especially if you are just starting out.
A 6.5 140 gr bullet at 2700fps does not have much poop at 400 yds!
Now watch the needmoor people jump on that defending the most over rated cartridge on the market!

Tikka makes a ctr in 6.5 creed with a 20" barrel also.

I think you were already on a great path.

Buy a ctr in 308/6.5 creedmoor and put a Bushnell lrts/lrhs2 on it and start shooting. The ctr is the best crossover/do all rifle made imo

I'm extremely new to hunting with rifles, in fact I've never hunted with a rifle before. I hunt with a bow and shotgun depending on the season. I'm getting into rifles now as I have the time and a little extra money to do it.

I'm looking for a rifle for deer, black bear and elk (if possible), but also capable of shooting for fun at f-class competitions up to 1,000 yards.

I've been looking at the Tikka CTR in 308 but it only comes with a 20" barrel which supposedly only losses about 100fps vs a 24" barrel. Not sure about accuracy and bullet stability though.

I would like to stay around $1,200 for the rifle because glass, bipod and a new stock add up quick. I have been searching the internet and am overloaded with info. Everyone has a different opinion of what is best, for long range shooting 6.5 creedmore is loved these days, but hunting elk with it is not looked favorably upon. While the 308 is an older cartridge and not as good for long distance but for hunting is still a very popular cartridge.

I'm leaning towards a 308 as it has proven capable for long distance shooting and is a very common hunting cartridge. But is a 20" barrel long enough for a 308? There seems to be less long distance rifles made in 308 these days, I can only assume because of the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore, but why are the 308's coming out with 20" long barrels, while the 6.5 creedmore have 24" barrels?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I can't think of a good way to cover these needs with one rifle. You need at least 2, and probably different chamberings. The good news is that $1,200 can buy you a very serviceable hunting rifle in 2022. I would look at some of the better factory offerings. .308 is deer and black bear but a little marginal for elk, especially if you're looking to shoot past 400 yards. After all, this is LRH. I would consider at least a 30.06 or even better, 300WM for the hunting rifle. Factory rifles that I would carry that come to mind in your price range would be Bergara, Tikka, Winchester Model 70 Extreme.

I can't speak on the F-Class setups but I know those things are normally boat anchors with massive optics. 20 lb setups would not be my ideal woods or mountain gun.

Recent Posts