Need some help please

To do both hunting and long range is going to be a compromise cartridge. You might look at the .280Rem or the 30-06. or 7mmRemMag.
Good luck.
Whatever you get

save your brass for when you gt into reloading.

I load and shoot, reload for and hunt with over 30 different rifle cartridges. From the .577 Snider down to the 220 Swift Ackley Improved. I seem to always come back to my 18" barrel 308 Winchester rifle.

I really like my 7mm-08 Ack Improved (20" barrel) and my 30:06 Ack Improved (26" barrel) rifles, but if I had to choose just one cartridge to hunt with, it would be the 308 Winchester with a short barrel rifle.

If you're wanting a walk around hunting rifle this one isn't for you......but you want one that will pull double duty here ya go......keep in mind this rifle is gonna 15lbs+ after scope and rings.

I'm extremely new to hunting with rifles, in fact I've never hunted with a rifle before. I hunt with a bow and shotgun depending on the season. I'm getting into rifles now as I have the time and a little extra money to do it.

I'm looking for a rifle for deer, black bear and elk (if possible), but also capable of shooting for fun at f-class competitions up to 1,000 yards.

I've been looking at the Tikka CTR in 308 but it only comes with a 20" barrel which supposedly only losses about 100fps vs a 24" barrel. Not sure about accuracy and bullet stability though.

I would like to stay around $1,200 for the rifle because glass, bipod and a new stock add up quick. I have been searching the internet and am overloaded with info. Everyone has a different opinion of what is best, for long range shooting 6.5 creedmore is loved these days, but hunting elk with it is not looked favorably upon. While the 308 is an older cartridge and not as good for long distance but for hunting is still a very popular cartridge.

I'm leaning towards a 308 as it has proven capable for long distance shooting and is a very common hunting cartridge. But is a 20" barrel long enough for a 308? There seems to be less long distance rifles made in 308 these days, I can only assume because of the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore, but why are the 308's coming out with 20" long barrels, while the 6.5 creedmore have 24" barrels?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I'm extremely new to hunting with rifles, in fact I've never hunted with a rifle before. I hunt with a bow and shotgun depending on the season. I'm getting into rifles now as I have the time and a little extra money to do it.

I'm looking for a rifle for deer, black bear and elk (if possible), but also capable of shooting for fun at f-class competitions up to 1,000 yards.

I've been looking at the Tikka CTR in 308 but it only comes with a 20" barrel which supposedly only losses about 100fps vs a 24" barrel. Not sure about accuracy and bullet stability though.

I would like to stay around $1,200 for the rifle because glass, bipod and a new stock add up quick. I have been searching the internet and am overloaded with info. Everyone has a different opinion of what is best, for long range shooting 6.5 creedmore is loved these days, but hunting elk with it is not looked favorably upon. While the 308 is an older cartridge and not as good for long distance but for hunting is still a very popular cartridge.

I'm leaning towards a 308 as it has proven capable for long distance shooting and is a very common hunting cartridge. But is a 20" barrel long enough for a 308? There seems to be less long distance rifles made in 308 these days, I can only assume because of the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore, but why are the 308's coming out with 20" long barrels, while the 6.5 creedmore have 24" barrels?

It sounds to me that you have thought this through, that you are planning this carefully & that you have your head screwed on straight.
Lots of people with lots of knowledge & experience here. A few here that I would bet my life on.
You want all the rifle that you need/want but you just don't need a cannon. Make a wise decision, stick with it, live with it, be the best that you can be & ENJOY!
Many folks preach that THIS is best or THAT is best simply because that's what THEY own. Take your time, consider ammo availability & enjoy. BTW: I don't currently own one but there is nothing wrong with a .308) Good luck!

For a newbie, yer thinking cap works just fine. A Tika in .308 will be happy choice for almost everything you are trying to accomplish. As a sorta old timer I always thought that longer barrel length was always better for more speed and better range ballistics , but actually a 20 inch barrel can do magical wonders that boggle the mind until you understand barrel harmonics, stiffness, twist rates, muzzle brakes, etc. these shorter barrels are hitting small steel at a thousand meters all day long, and sometimes your accuracy wins with slower pushed rounds instead of the violent faster magnum loads.

Good luck in your new lifetime love of rifle shooting my newbie friend.

Lots of questions you have, one thing, I have a 308 on a G .33/40 mauser action, 18" barrel and shoot 165 gr HPBT, it shoots them at 300 yds in 1 1/2" groups, but also like the 7mmX08 and the 139 gr Hornady, never had one get away with this one either. Less recoil on the mauser action with 139 Hornady, also have 2 Bergara's one 6.5 C and one 6.5 PRC, the PRC is a nail driver, .17 at 100 and under or at under 1" at 300, very little recoil but also 9 lbs. So if your going to shoot F class, opt for a ,6.5 or .284, but ask some F class shooter of their opinion. Any other Q feel free to ask. I've shot over 175 deer, goats and other 4 legged guys, never had one disappear, the 7mmx 08 is my favorite to hunt with, light weight accurate, and action is so smooth, if you like I can send a pic, it's all customized . Oh, the last thing is ammo, or reloading 308 is much easier to find these days, 6.5 right now good luck but coming back in supply .

Welcome to the wonderful world of Rifle shooting. There is a lot of good advice in these forums and I do believe in what orkan said. Contact him and discuss your options. Find someone that has some rifles and try them out see what you like and what you can take. Just remember the most important part is to have fun. Getting your first hunting rifle that will put you into any kind of competition at 1000 yards might be a stretch unless you want to spend some serious loot. I would stick with something in the milder recoil range, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 x 284, .280, 30-06 to start with. More than anything else get something that there is available ammo for on the shelf. Right now in Montana any decent factory ammo is almost non-existent. Get used to recoil and multiple rounds first. Firearms in general are pretty easy to sell and you can always trade up. Starting with a big banger right off the bat might turn you off on the sport altogether or make you develop a flinch before you ever determine if you even like shooting rifles. Good luck with your endeavor and keep us posted on how it goes.

Consider a 6.5 PRC. Or buy a Danaher in 308 and for about 400 extra buy a 6.5 creed barrel and tools.to swap. It only takes minutes. 2 calibers 1 rifle.