Need some atv advice!

tanner o

I am going back and forth over which atv to buy. I think I have it narrowed down to a grizzly 700 or 650 outlander. Wondering if anybody has been on the 2013 of both models and what your thoughts are. I here good and bad about both. Will be using it for hunting and some trail riding.

I have a grizzly 700 but it is not a 2013 model. Its a 2009. I love the thing. I have no complaints whatsoever about it. I just do the maintenance on it that the owners manual says to do at every mileage point and I have never had a problem with it. I have hauled a whole Oryx (minus the innards) out on it and it didn't even phase it.

I would have no reservations about recommending the Grizzly.

Oh, A discussion of my first vice on a forum dedicated to my second vive...

I haven't owned a 700 grizzly yet but did own a 2006 660. Good bike never had any problems with it in the 1800 miles and 13 months I owned it, sold it for a 2008 Can-am 650 max. The Can-am was the cats meow for me rode good plenty of power had it till 2011 then sold it for a Polaris rzr and don't regret it, don't see myself going back to an atv but if I did it would be a Can-am hands down no questions asked...

I went through the same quandry about a year ago. Although I wasnt buying new I was buying used. I ended up buying a Honda Foreman and since then I have ridden with a lot of different wheelers and although mine is just a little 450 I never feel under biked. I have buddies with the big suzuki's and polaris and Yamahas and the ONLY place I have been out done was deep snow because of my ground clearance. mud (which I dont do much of and avoid when possible) and just in general trails in the mountains. I can Side hill better with my lower COG and when its cold out the honda always fires right up. Top speed is about 50 but low end I have plenty of power for anything I want to do and I am 290 lbs. I know that wasnt one of your options but I thought I would throw it in because of how impressed I have been with it. between the two you named I would pick the outlander everytime.

I don't think you can wrong with any of them these days. My buddy just got a 550 Polaris and I really like it. I have a 450 King Quad and it serves me quite well. Around here Can Am has a very good reputation and I would be hard pressed to not look it over as consideration to buy. I am not a big quad guy as I have ridden and raced off road motorcycles for many years and have ridden on the US ISDE Team a couple of times. I tend to think of quads as transportation in a much more relaxed environment. Therefore I tend to lean to quads with considerably less HP. A few of my co-workers have the bigger machines and they say the torque is so massive they can flip over on steep hills easily. So if HP is not that big of deal to you perhaps a polaris 550 would work as well.

I had 2 Polaris, now own 2 grizzlys. One is a 07,other an 09. I only change the fluids and grease every season, plus upgraded the batteries. They are the eps models and have never been in the shop. 11,000 miles between the 2.

I own a 2008 Grizzly 700 FI with EPS. I am not aware of what differences there are between the 08 models and the current ones (I think some small tweaks), but I have driven my wheeler hard and have had absolutely no issues. It is a work horse, easy on fuel, plenty of power (even with two riders) and starts good even in deep cold. It is also much lighter than any other comparable unit. While weight might not be a concern to everyone, it sure makes it easier to lift out of a snow bank when they are 150 lbs lighter. Nicer in the bed of a pick-up too! Top choice in my book.

I don't own either of these but I have raced for most of the top factories, and as a result I have worked on and helped destroy these machines for long time. Here is the deal all have pros and cons.
Honda If you want the most reliable quad made with almost no maintenance requirements this is your machine. The problem is Honda is lacking in the technology department they are behind.
Polaris If you want the best riding ATV with plenty of power this may be the one the are a beck of a machine and easy to maintain. Problem is they require a decent amount of maintenance they also have lock out issues.
Yamaha does everything ok but isn't the best at anything.
Can Am. Has the most advanced four wheel drive system and very powerful motors. Problem is parts are very expensive compared to others and thet do need maintenance.

Hope this helps.

CAN AM!! "The ride says it all"
I own a 2013 Outty 1000 and it rides like a Cadillac and pulls like a tractor.
Nothing compares BUT there pricey. Do they need maintenance? well ya they all do and coming from someone who modifies the engines and enhances the performance there quit simple to work on is what sold me.

There a heavier redone frame. I have both a 07 and a 13 and never had frame issues. The people that do i would guess are jumping 800lb -1000lb machines on dirt bike tracks!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.