Need some advice on gun purchase

pitsnipe

What better place to ask the question but here. Decided to retire dads ole .308 (56 yrs old and it deserves it) So, looking to buy the "one gun does all" for ME. Criteria are as follows:

1. Left handed bolt
2. .308 Win
3. Synthetic black (camo would be OK) stock
4. Preferably glass bedded
5. Black or matte barrel
6. drilled and tapped for scope mount (prefer no sights like the "clean" look)
7. 24 to 26" barrel
8. under $1000.00
9. capable of MOA with the right load out of the box

I have two in mind that fit the above. They are:

Savage Law Enforcement model. sku 18610
and the
Remington mdl 700 SPS Varmint #84229

I will be using this PRIMARILY for long range varmint (coyote) hunting. I notice the Savage has a 1-10" twist and the Remington a 1-12" twist. As a general rule I understand the "tighter" the twist the ability to stabilize a larger (200 grain) bullet. Generally speaking I load 125, 150 and 180 grain (experimenting with various styles i.e. boat tail, flat base, etc, now) But not opposed at all to loading what the gun likes best and adjusting my hunting i.e. range and size of game, to account for the load.

I welcome any and all opinions/advise. Outside of winning the Lotto. This WILL be my last rifle. As I'm selling every toy or tool that I havent played with or used in the last year to make this purchase.

WOW.....Over 70 views and NO OPINIONS/SUGGESTIONS??? I know I asked in the right forum. Sure would like the help/advice.
Thanks

get the remington
the stock sucks so replace it with a hs precsion from stocky and you are good to go
retiredcpo

Thank you kc and retiredcpo.
retiredcpo, what was yiyur rate?
retired MM1 from the Naval Reserve here.

Don't forget the Wby Vanguard S-2, SUB MOA. They're "pre-pimped":D pretty cool. Even the inexpensive regular S-2 is guaranteed SUB MOA, you just don't get the cool stock, & engraved floor plate.gun)

Pitsnipe
I am HTC 22 yrs
I just got my remington sps and love it, the stock I get from stockies is great
retiredcpo

Why are you stuck on the 308? For what you will be doing, a 243 would work a lot better. I doubt you will be shooting 200g bullets at varmints. The 243 is short action, and will reach out with a 308 with the proper bullets. Less recoil, fast, easy. Buy the Savage and go. JMO.

Why are you stuck on the 308? For what you will be doing, a 243 would work a lot better. I doubt you will be shooting 200g bullets at varmints. The 243 is short action, and will reach out with a 308 with the proper bullets. Less recoil, fast, easy. Buy the Savage and go. JMO.

I load the .308 And yes, I could get other dies to load anything. Oh, then there is the TON of .308 brass that I have. Can equip a small army with brass. Anyhow, have a 125 grain load made up for the ole Winchester at this time. And from what I have heard of the Savage's accuracy with handloads. I shouldnt have a problem comming up with a mix of lead and powder that it likes that is also kind on pelts. Looking like I will be pulling the trigger on the Savage this week.
Thank you everyone who answered to this post and sent me a few PM's. Can retire dads old lever action.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.