Need load info. 243 Win VLD 95 H4831

ShootnMathews

If anyone with a Berger book can help me. Thanks.
243 Win 95 grn VLD over H4831. I'd like to know the COAL if they list one and the MIN & MAX LOADS. THANKS

Also does anyone use this load? What speed/ accuracy do you get? Kill deer well?

Also I have a 1:10 twist barrel. Berger list a 1:9 barrel for this bullet and a 1:10 for 88 grn VLDs. Anyone shoot this combo (95 grn) in a 1:10? It shoots a 95 grn Nosler BT very well, but they list a 1:10 for it.

Last edited:
They don't have a listing for H4831, but do have one for H4831sc. Load data should be the same for both, but as always, work up to the max load. Barrel length is listed as 24". It also suggests a 1 in 9" twist or faster.

H4831SC 41.0 gr.=2716 fps 45.3 gr.=3016 fps

The only COL listed is the SAAMI length of 2.710"

Attached photo. Maybe it will be readable.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 2013-02-26_07-59-31_276.jpg
    2013-02-26_07-59-31_276.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 736
i can not tell what you are shooting at. or what rifle. i could not get the 95 berger to shoot out of a 9.25 twist . i would try hornady 87, or a berger 88 or 87, or stay with the nosler 95. nosler and hogdon should have data for a 95 grain bullet in theis manual.

Thank you ronin and nimrod. Nimrod the photo was great, I could make out every word. My lee book for a 95 grn jacketed showed 44.5 but I wanted to be more exact. I shot 5 test shots the other day with 44 grains of H4831 and I just seated the bullets with my die setup for the noslers. Didn't want to mess it up just yet cuz the noslers shoot great. I thought I'd try a few groups with different powder charges first hoping to get lucky and maybe find a load that shoots well without resetting my die. That way I could reload both very repeatably. The way it is set my noslers are .01 off the lans. I have no idea where the bergers are at this point. I'm guessing about .04 off but I'll check one day. The 5 shot group shot well. The first shot was a little left but then the next 4 grouped well. Measuring all 5 makes it 1-1/2" group. The 4 that were together 7/8". My barrel is a 1:10 twist but I thought I'd try these anyways. I'm going to load some more groups at this same length but bumping up the powder .3 grains at a time. See if they tighten up or open up.

Thanks again for the picture. Very helpful. I'll let you know how they do. Oh and it's a Marlin XS7 243 w/22" barrel that I use for my wife to deer hunt with and me too once in a while if I want to pack light. Also yote hunt from time to time, but I mostly just shoot it for fun at steel. It shoots the 95 Nosler BT well (1/2 MOA or better) but I think these will do better at long range if I can get them to shoot in this 1:9 barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.