Need Tikka 243 Load info

Brianc74

I am trying to work up a load on my nephews Tikka 243. The rifle just is not giving me consistant accuracy. 3 rounds will do 1/2 inch triangleand the next 3 will shot string 1.5" with the same load. I am trying H4350 and Barns 80 ttsx.

Any advise would be awesome

Brian

Are you letting the barrel cool down between shot strings? They stay warm for a while. One other thing to try is seat the bullets into the rifling, which could be possibly longer than the mag length. Alot of people will cuss the factory mount and rings and have found them to be problematic, I haven't found this to be a problem yet for me.

Has it been apart? Reason I ask is that it has a funny block they use as a recoil lug that is not attached to the action in anyway other than a press fit. If the screw torque isn't right it will shoot funny. I don't know the proper torque settings off hand but when I found the sweet spot for mine I used loctite on them to keep it together.

Mine is a laminated stock, I've no experience with the synthetic stocks. The barrel twist isn't conducive to VLD's but 70-90 gr bullets work real well in this rifle. I know alot of people swear by H4350, I never really cared for it much but my powder of choice is VithaVouri N560 with an 87 Vmax, I had good accuracy with N550 and N560 on the 85 gr Gameking. IMR 4895 is a standby powder for me in this gun too. I have a box of Barnes 85 gr TSX bullets I'm going to experiment with one of these days so I'm looking forward to following your results.

I am trying to work up a load on my nephews Tikka 243. The rifle just is not giving me consistant accuracy. 3 rounds will do 1/2 inch triangleand the next 3 will shot string 1.5" with the same load. I am trying H4350 and Barns 80 ttsx.

Any advise would be awesome

Brian

How much H4350 and at what OAL?

I have been trying 45-46.5 grains of H4350, cci200 and chi BR primers. I set the Barns 80 grain ttsx at 100 thou off the lands. The rifle is just shooting inconsisant. One three shot group will do 1/2 inch. Let the barrel cool for 15 minutes. Shoot another 3 shot group that measures 1.5 inch. Then let the barrel cool again and it will do 1/2 again. For a total of 10 rounds with a fouler. I am thinking it does not like this powder. Might need something faster.

I have been trying 45-46.5 grains of H4350, cci200 and chi BR primers. I set the Barns 80 grain ttsx at 100 thou off the lands. The rifle is just shooting inconsisant. One three shot group will do 1/2 inch. Let the barrel cool for 15 minutes. Shoot another 3 shot group that measures 1.5 inch. Then let the barrel cool again and it will do 1/2 again. For a total of 10 rounds with a fouler. I am thinking it does not like this powder. Might need something faster.

The reason I asked OAL and not distance to lands is the TTSX seating depths can be crazy in any gun but especially the small bores. I did just what you've done and at last resort before ditching I used Barnes tested OAL at 2.61 (mile from the lands). Shoots the best groups I have ever shot with this gun. Play with seating depth before you ditch. If end of neck is not in bout center of last groove, start there, at 2.61 if brass is at trim length the last groove juuust disappears in to the neck and just touch powder. Crazy.

Oh for giggles 45.5 Grain H4350 from 20" barrel squirting the 80TTSX out at 3,404 avg ES 11. First 3 shots when I seated deep went magento speed velocities at 75 degrees:

Last edited:
I can not see the last canular. The bullet is really deep in the case. I am going to try Varget next.

Brian

44gr H414 / Lapua scenar 90gr. 5shot group about 2" from 300meter. Good for factory rifle with pibods. Velocity (V0) average ( +16 celsius) was 3290fpsRifle Tikka T3 varmint 243win.:)

Have decided to put a new Bartien barrel on. The stock barrel just would not do less then moa with any loads I tried. I tried about 25 different combinations. Going to put on a Bartlien 1-8 5R stainless.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Brian

Shoot Barnes 80gr ttsx's in my tikka t3 lite. They shoot amazing. 2.686 is the OAL my cheap calipers give me. The thing about shooting Barnes is the seating depth. You have to find it. UNLESS your rifle is shot out it will most likely shoot. I've never seen a Tikka that wouldn't. The amount of powder or type means less than the OAL with Barnes. They are some what hard to tune. You just have to take scientific approach and only change one thing at a time. I shoot RL 17 in mine and they absolutely screem.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.