Need help!!!!

I read the thread. All I really got from what I read is people in the military tend to like the MIL better and MIL is better all around because you can use it for long range or just hunting.

The gun I want has a built in 19 mm scope rail would the scope I picked out fit hat

Military uses mills because it was developed for artillery and being that it is a tried and true method that is already taught, it's much simpler for them to continue to use a system that is already in use and understood than to try to teach a whole nother system for a relatively similar task. It is somewhat more complicated than MOA as MOA is 10based math which you already understand.

I was taught to use Mills by a close friend that was a Marine Scout Sniper, I understand how Mills work and the math but most scopes are based on MOA, and range estimation is very similar between both just different math and numbers. What you'll have to keep strait with MOA is that most civilian Mildot scopes subtend a distance based on inches, but your scope turrets work in MOA.

Clear as mud? it's not as complicated in practice as it sounds.

Just some food for thought here, but have you looked into getting a custom, or semi custom rifle built?
Len sells some nice lookin rigs ready to shoot.
I know many of the sponsor smiths here have incredible reputations on builds, & some of them even have rifle packages ready to shoot for sale too.

I'm not bashing your CZ idea, heck I've got two CZ shotguns, but what a pain in the butt to try to customize in any way, shape or form.
Say you want a different stock to fit you now, vs when your 25. How bout a different trigger, or any number of different things. There's virtually 0 aftermarket support for anything CZ makes.

A custom/semi custom on a Rem 700 or clone, or Win 70 & you can get almost any part, anywhere, anytime, & find a smith willing to work on it for you.

As for cartrige selection,
Your picking an Awesome LR cartrige, but where in the heck are you gonna find 338Lapua ammo in Alabama? Ordering it works for some occasions, but what about when your buddies show up & decide to go shootin? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to buy ammo on short notice, since you don't handload yet?

What about going with a custom rifle, chambered in 300wm (it works well for some military, & LEO sniper rifles) So, you have unique (custom rifle) combined with tactical, (300wm) & a readily availabe cartrige anywhere in America, that can, & has killed everything in North America, & most things on other continents, & is still fun to shoot, & costs way less to shoot, & is still highly accurate at distance.

Like I said, I'm not bashing any of your choices here, just giving you a few things to consider before you drop $3k on a new rifle, only to find it may or may not be what you really wanted.
Also, consider resale if you ever get a wild hair. Not too much demand out there for CZ, especially in 338Lapua.
Maybe 338 Lapua on a different platform? Easier resale if nothing else.

Just throwing it out there for you to think about.
Your rifle, your money, your decision. I'm sure you've done a lot of research & homework so far, so I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you finally decide on.
It's very good to see a young guy, not afraid to work his butt off, & save his money for something he really wants. That says a lot about you, & your folks. You should be proud of yourself for being one of very few in your generation with a good solid work ethic, & real sense of value. It makes me have hope for my kids to see that in younger folks these days. Good for you! I'm sure your family is also proud of you.
Good luck

Winmag, you made some fantastic points & I'm not afraid to admit that I missed. Work ethic, CZ modification & Len's Rifles, oops :)

You are spot on about the CZ, very solid rifle with little to zero modification available. Now I will say that, barring unforseen circumstances, Chad Dixon @ LongRifles Inc. can drop that CZ into about any stock on the planet. Some of them offer a set trigger that is supposed to be unbelievable.... I'm just trying to make it harder on the OP! :D

Len's Rifles are just a tad outside the OP's price range at $3795-ish... Which is why I recommended the classifieds.

This has turned out to be a enjoyable thread, thanks to all.

Sako TRG-42 with a Nightforce NXS scope should fit the bill.

Having said that, you need handloads and a really good rangefinder. At least a Leica 1200 CRF, but a Vectronix Terrapin or PLRF would be better.

Of course, the smart thing to do would be to enjoy and make the most of your Browning 7mm and continue to save/invest your hard earned money.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.