Need help

Time Killer

Yesterday I was out at our place doing some shooting. 50-55 degrees.
I am shooting a 6.5-284 in a R700 action. On the seventh round that I loaded, my bolt was very, very hard to close. I was able to kind of bang it closed and the round shot fine. Again, I never had any problems lifting the bolt or ejecting the round, only getting bolt all the way closed. It then did it numerous more times throughout the day.
These are loads using virgin Lapua brass, 140 gr VLD's. I have put 150 rounds through this rifle total.
Anyone experienced this?
Thanks.

As a general practice, I full-length resize & trim all virgin brass before loading - even Lapua. You might try loading several virgin, unloaded brass in your rifle to see if it might be the length or shoulder causing the tight fit.

You don't mention whether or not you checked your COAL, but that could also be a cause if your camming of the bolt is pushing the bullet into the lands. Check your length using a comparator to make sure each round is consistently the same. Finding the problem is often a proces of elimination.

What is your chamber neck and how thick is the neck brass?

IOW have you outside neck turned for chamber clearance?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.