Need help!!!!

younghunter

Im 14 and an avid hunter. Recently I have been looking to buy a new rifle, although I have found several rifles (including the CZ 550 H.E.T magnum) I think would be a good, durable, and accurate gun I am clearly not an expert. My budget is around 3,000. That is all I have saved so it can not be more. I want a powerful(not the powerful that could break my shoulder) , unique, long range, accurate, tactical, high quality, and accurate. Please list some guns that you guys believe would be a good match for me. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Do you reload or plan to start if you dont already? Factory offerings for a non reloader will have a lot of impact on what most will reccomend. I started out with a Browning A-bolt stainless stalker in 7mm rem. mag. I have killed tons of critters with it including lots of elk. It is hard to go wrong with it.
This in a 300 Win mag pretty much covers all of your bases that you described. Might consider having a brake installed and a really nice scope with high end mounts and you will be set.
Savage Arms

Mike, I'm not following you around I promise:D

OP, could you tell us a little more about what you intend to do with this rifle? We can make recommendations all day long, but without the proper focus, we may not be as helpful as we intend.

Hi, i am 13 and also a avid hunter and reloader and i think a savage 10/110 fcp hs precision in either 308 Winchester or 300 Win Mag would be a great choice. Factory ammo is available everywhere and there are some really good factory loads for each.

I own a browning 7mm already great gun but it's not unique. The purpose of this gun is for long distance hunting, big game, and well I want it for the same reason people buy Barretts and that's just to simply own one for the thrill and fun that comes from shooting it.

If that didn't make sense I'll specify a little more. Let me know if there is any other questions you have.
Thanks for such a quick response.

I don't reload nor do I plan on it in the near future. I Have a steady income with nothing to spend it on so money for bullets are not a problem considering I wouldn't shoot it much outside of hunting

Man, I sure would have liked to have 3k to drop on a rifle when I was 14! :D

Some of the grown-ups around here get bent outta shape at a cost like that.:rolleyes:

Does this budget include optics? The two guys above me have already recommended Savage. I would particularly recommend the LRH, but barnesuser made a great recommendation as well.

If it's big game including Elk'z i'd have to say 300mag minimum (I know i'll get crucified for saying that) since LongRange was in your description.

I would also recommend looking at the classifieds here & on Snipers Hide. You can find some unbelievably good deals on rifles in either forum. If you are looking for a custom, that would be a VERY good place to start.

Haha well my parents make me work for everything I wanted a 3000 dollar rifle so I worked for a while to get that much. All you have to do is put in your hours and it all adds up. No I have 2 grand set aside for optics already. I'm getting the leupold Mark 4 ER/T 8.5-25x50mm (30mm) M1 Front Focal. From what I've read it's a great scope but if you know something I don't feel free to let me know

Also I have owned savage arms guns in the past and I just wasn't happy with their performance. Not trying to say they are not good guns because they are very well made but personally I didnt enjoy them

Haha well my parents make me work for everything I wanted a 3000 dollar rifle so I worked for a while to get that much. All you have to do is put in your hours and it all adds up. No I have 2 grand set aside for optics already. I'm getting the leupold Mark 4 ER/T 8.5-25x50mm (30mm) M1 Front Focal. From what I've read it's a great scope but if you know something I don't feel free to let me know

TMR reticle? I would advise you to not mix a Mil reticle with a MOA turret. I had that scope & ditched it pretty quick just for that reason. For 2k you can pick up a NightForce or a used USO. I'm in no way bashing Leupy as I love my MK4 M5-A Mil/Mil however, it was also $2300. MILS or MOA, either way, keep you turret matched to your reticle.

I would really like to push you toward a 338 lapua 338 rum or a 338-378 they are unique and very long range suited. I am thinking 300 win is probably a great place for you to put your money, especially as a non reloader. Tons of offerings for the rifle (a good used custom would be the best choice) and lots of factory ammo to choose from. Do like outlaw suggested and check the classifieds.

I dont know how big you are but I have a 375 ultra mag with a brake, it kicks hard still but thats pretty unique, itll shoot a bullet way out there. I shoot 270gr TSX at 3150, but you could do 300 or 350 SMK's also. If you can find a rifle chambered in it.

I have a Mark 4 6.5x20 with the TMR reticle on a savage 110 fcp hs in 338 Lapua and think it is great. I would go with the 6.5x20 over the 8.5x25 just because if you need to make a quick shot at close range then the 6.5 is going to be better than the 8.5. JMHO.

On 20x at 991 yards on a STOP sign the gap in the middle of the TMR is the same size as the inside of the P.

Here savages are pretty much considered the "most accurate out of the box" gun. But if you really dont want a savage look at a remington sendero in 300 wm.

I think I might go with the CZ 550 H.E.T MAG .338 lapua. I have read a lot of reviews and everyone says the built in break allows for a great reduction of recoil. I'm 5"10 165 but I bench 275 shoulder press 205 and squat 385 so I'm not a little guy. I'm nothing but lean muscle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.