Need help in selecting a .25-06 bullet

Baker City

I have a rem. 700 ADL .25-06. Have shot this rifle for 38 yrs. Experimented with many loads and bullets. Used this for white tail, mule deer, antelope & coyotes. My gun will only perform well with 120 gr bullets. I consistently shoot .4" groups @ 100 yd. The bullet the old gun likes best is Speer 120 gr boat tail. At a recent visit with Speer, they were adamant that this particular Speer bullet was fine for deer, antelope & coyotes but was never designed for elk as the jacket is too thin. This particular rifle does not shoot any weight of Nosler to a satisfactory group. I am in my 70's and really not interested in changing calibers. Can any experienced 1/4 bore shooters/hunters recommend a 120 gr. elk bullet? Thank you

BC, if its shooting .400 at 100yds stick to it. I've read posts of someone using 25-06 and .257 Roberts for elk exclusively in areas that 50-100yds is average with very good "shot placement". I'm close to your age (67) and would personally go up in caliber to insure a quick kill and at 70+ years, you surely don't want to chase a large elk through hill and brush. Good luck

I just had Nosler change the E-Tip I was using know the feeling.

Nosler makes a 100 Gr. E-tip that are long for their weight.
Hornady mades the 90 gr. GMX is long for weight.
Berger may makes some bullets that may do what you want.

Good Luck in finding a replacement bullet

The 120 grain Partition is a great bullet, not the highest BC but not the lowest, when for Elk would not matter to me, let me tell you what I mean.
I would not want to use a 25-06 at long range for Elk, regardless of bullet, the energy and weight is a little light for big animals at 600+ yards in my view, whereas using a Berger 115 would not scare me at 600+ for Deer or far as you can hit varmits of course.
And the BC is not a big deal out to 400 or so if it is a spitzer so for me the 120 Partition is great. I have never recovered a bullet when using it out to near 400 & it expanded and killed good every time.
Just my opinion on the range for big animals, that why I bought a 300 WM years ago.

Since you are comfortable with and have experience with Speer, why don't you try some of their Grand Slam 120 gr bullets to see if they will group well in your rifle.

I have owned a 25-06 for about 36 years myself. My favorite bullet is a Nosler 100 gr Partition. It wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't have any reservations about Elk hunting with it. I would limit my shots to about 300 yards.

The 120 grain Partition is a great bullet, not the highest BC but not the lowest, when for Elk would not matter to me, let me tell you what I mean.
I would not want to use a 25-06 at long range for Elk, regardless of bullet, the energy and weight is a little light for big animals at 600+ yards in my view, whereas using a Berger 115 would not scare me at 600+ for Deer or far as you can hit varmits of course.
And the BC is not a big deal out to 400 or so if it is a spitzer so for me the 120 Partition is great. I have never recovered a bullet when using it out to near 400 & it expanded and killed good every time.
Just my opinion on the range for big animals, that why I bought a 300 WM years ago.

Thanks for the feed back. I hunt elk from a stand and the range for my shot(s) are 300 yds. Do you think is safe for my .25 with 120 gr. bullet?

I have used a 25-06 for elk for the past ten years. My pet load is the 117 grain game king @ 2990 fps. I have taken two cow elk with this load. The first was a 350 yard shot, and took two rounds. The first round killed her, but she was still on her feet so I hit her again. The second elk I broke her back (destroying a lot of back strap) had to shoot her again too. On the first elk I only found one of the bullets on her off side. The other bullet went through. I know you said you didn't want to buy another rifle, but I agree with the other posts. At your age I would look for a bigger bore. 30-06, 300 short mag. even 308. No need to track them after you hit them. I decided it was time to move up so I had a 30/338 win mag built, and bought a 338 Lapua for those long shots. The 25-06 is a great round, but like others said a little light for elk.

I have rec'd some good responses to my O.P. Thank you all. If you have any brain storms about a good 1/4 bore bullet for 300 yd. elk, I'd like to hear from you.

At the range you said I bet you will be fine with your load you have been using. We have shot a few cow elk with 25-06 115 ballistic tips, some right through the the front shoulder. I doubt ballistic tips are any stouter than your Speer bullets. Avoid heavy bone if you can and send a quick follow up. 25-06 isn't my choice elk round but it will work if that's what you got.

If you slow your round down to 28-2900 it will hold together better too

Thanks for the feed back. I hunt elk from a stand and the range for my shot(s) are 300 yds. Do you think is safe for my .25 with 120 gr. bullet?

I absolutely do with that limit. Consider this, the 120 Partition has approx. the same Sectional Density as a 140 Gr. 270, you won't hear people say a 140 .270 Part. won't penetrate. With that 300 yard limit, it would be a wonderful choice if your barrel likes it, my Sendero 25-06AI sure does, both before and after the AI Treatment..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.