Need Advice on a Rifle

I haven't followed CA or many builders in awhile because I plan on building rifles for myself. But here's my 2 cents. Be careful of bad reviews. They maybe founded but the firearms world can be funny. You see a ton of "experts" meat mouthing this or that product. Whether it's found or unfound can be questionable at times. And even highly reputable manufacturers can have issues from time to time. From lots to lots or runs to runs. Glock is a perfect example. They had some delamination issues at one time. Now how a company deals with an issue is what sets them apart.

Last edited:
Now in the past I really looked at Cooper Arms. I don't know how well they're doing now but they are more semi custom I guess. They have a 1/2 MOA guarantee and used to send a test target with the rifle. Some of the founders were from Kimber of Oregon. Pretty well known for making good firearms. And some of their hunting synthetic rifles are in the $2500 range.

I haven't followed CA or many builders in awhile because I plan on building rifles for myself. But here's my 2 cents. Be careful of bad reviews. They maybe founded but the firearms world can be funny. You see a ton of "experts" meat mouthing this or that product. Were it's found or unfound can be questionable at times. And even highly reputable manufacturers can have issues from time to time. From lots to lots or runs to runs. Glock is a perfect example. They had some delamination issues at one time. Now how a company deals with an issue is what sets them apart.

Well said. Have you heard of any bad things about Christensen Arms. If so, did they rectify them to your knowledge?

Another option for your buddy is kinda diy rifle rebarreling. If he's mechanically inclined he could get a "prefit" or Remage style barrel and install it himself. Or get short chambered barrels and final headspace at home with a rented reamer.

Another option for your buddy is kinda diy rifle rebarreling. If he's mechanically inclined he could get a "prefit" or Remage style barrel and install it himself. Or get short chambered barrels and final headspace at home with a rented reamer.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to do that. I know I wouldn't.

Well said. Have you heard of any bad things about Christensen Arms. If so, did they rectify them to your knowledge?
I have on here and some other sites. But I never seen one for myself so I cannot comment on their quality. that's why having a local smith is nice. Pick an action, stock, and barrel that you love and let them at it.

My brother has had good luck with GA Precision blue printing actions and rebarreling them for him in the past. I don't know what they are charging or if they are doing that still.

Unless things have changed in recent times GA Precisions reputation is in the top tier of builders. George Gardner regularly collaborates with Hornady. His rifles have been highly sought after by Police/ Military for a long time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.