Need a good hunting bullet for 30 06

Loading for a hunting buddy. Rem 700, 30 06, 24 inch barrel 1:10. Most shots will be 200 yds and under on deer. I'm thinking something in the 165 range that won't break the bank. He's a good shot so DRT would be nice. Not going to go with Bergers. I'de like an exit .I have on hand 180g Barnes TSX and maybe Sierra GK hollow points. Was never happy with Game Kings close in. Looked like they were shot with an ice pick. Mostly want to see them print well at 100yds. Powders i'm flexible on. Remember this isn't your custom rifle. ;)
165 gr Sierra Game King gets my vote based on your parameters.

I will have to agree with TxPhred .I have used the 165 game king for over 40 years out of my 760.I have taken whitetail,mule deer.Pronghorn and bear with it

Last edited:
At 200 yards or less anything that shoots good will work on whitetails. I have an "06 imp which I built 25 years ago with a Shilen barrel with 1: 14 twist just for 165-168 bullets. I use Nosler ballistic tips, hornaday 165 sp and Berger 168 hunting. The rifle is a tack driver, always was. I think it may be more of a personal preference, but I wouldn't waste money on high dollar lead for under 200 yards unless you're hunting something dangerous. The deer won't know the difference as long as what your are shooting is accurate and you can put the bullet in the right place. Plus at the range you are shooting, you can load mild loads and save on powder. Try loading 2600fps not 2800+ fps. You may be surprised.

Up here in Michigan , where we hunt , you harvest 7 deer a season, plus I help a couple farmers with their control permits in the summer. I shoot everything with 165 Nosler ballistic tip. Ranges of 50 to 400 yds and no complaints from the deer.

For a Cup an Core and not breaking the bank selection, the Hornady Interlock is a good choice.

5 + years back I was developing a load for a RUGER American 30/06 "loaner rifle" and chose the Interlock 165gr. Surprised, but the very first load test series produced the desired results. Half gr. back from the top load tested proved the load to be consistent in further tests.

I have seen the interlock bullets take a real beating and still hold together. As said a good lower cost option.

Also, something other then a boat tail, due to sometimes core slippage is also a good choice. The Interlock helps with that issue if a boat tail is your choice! Personally, I am NOT a Sierra fan for game hunting. I know, a personal thing.

BUT, although we now have a bunch of very good bullets that are NOT prone to core separations, it IS hard to find anything better then the Nosler Partition!

Post #4 seems to indicate - "at relatively short range" - that the Nosler Partition is not dependable at longer ranges. FALSE!

Many years back - 1960s - a core separation with an old 100gr Hornady - pre Interlock - .243 bullet moved me to the Partition, and since that time it has proven very successful in the .243 (old 95gr & 100gr), 7mm mag. (165gr.), and 300 win mag (165gr to 200gr).

One shot bang flop at 500yds with a 160gr 7mm partition on a mulely buck seems like a relatively far piece.

I am one that likes to develop one load with one bullet for any and all hunting I'll do with a given rifle. Meaning I DO NOT change loads/bullets depending on the size of the game!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I'm using a Barnes TACX 110 gr. Out of a 30-06 Doing 3780 FPS with phenomenal results. Shoots very flat. And is devastating. The best part is that they hold together when fully expanded. And at 400 yard you only need have about 16 inches of drop if I remember correctly. Very accurate I killed a Elk at 430 yards and it went through both shoulders and out. Speed kills, it didn't even move after being punched. Dropped right on the spot. Killed several deer at 350 yds plus with them as well. If you try them I'm sure you won't regret it. I loaded them down some for my daughter to 3600 FPS. Since the kick was like a kick from my 300 win with a 200 grain bullet, when shooting them at full speed. And she kill a nice 4x4 Mulley at 450 yds we recovered the slug and it was fully expanded And weighed in at 100% of the weight it left the gun. It broke several ribs and turned the boiler room into jello. You couldn't ask for a cleaner kill.

For what you are wanting, a Nosler 165 gr Partition and H4350 powder will be as good as it gets. Midway has a discounted price on the bullets.
I like this combo a lot, And even the accubonds. I have 300wm, 308, 300wms, 270. I've tried a lot of bullets, and different powders, and I keep going back to same combo's that worked for me 20 years ago. Maybe I'm just getting old but I get best accuracy overall with noslers, and never underestimate the knock down power, even on bad shots Like the the one guy said already why does everybody keep trying to copy it

I used 165 grn. Ballistic tips, then went to Ballistic Silver tips when they came out, now 168grn. Barnes TTSX. Each time my groups tightened up. .247" at 100 yrds about a week ago. Rem. 700 BDL 22" barrell(1-10 Twist). 45.0 grains of H4895.

For the money, a Speer 165 or 180 grain Hot Core is hard to beat. Accurate enough, holds together, penetrates and good terminal performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.