Need a good hunting bullet for 30 06

Loading for a hunting buddy. Rem 700, 30 06, 24 inch barrel 1:10. Most shots will be 200 yds and under on deer. I'm thinking something in the 165 range that won't break the bank. He's a good shot so DRT would be nice. Not going to go with Bergers. I'de like an exit .I have on hand 180g Barnes TSX and maybe Sierra GK hollow points. Was never happy with Game Kings close in. Looked like they were shot with an ice pick. Mostly want to see them print well at 100yds. Powders i'm flexible on. Remember this isn't your custom rifle. ;)

I have been more than happy with Accubond 180 GR for deer less than 400 yds. Over 400, I use Accubond Long Range 180 gr.

Holy cow, lots of guys who like to spend money on premium bullets! I have hunted deer in the Michigan woods since the 1970's and my longest shot here (other than crop damage deer control on bean farms) was about 175 yards. Did it with the 30-06 I got when I was 15. IMO there is no need for a premium performance bullet here or in Florida, where (from what I've seen on trips down there) the deer are generally smaller than our northern subspecies. So, my advice...Hornady makes several different but very affordable bullets that will work fine. You don't need a bonded-core bullet or a super high BC to kill a whitetail at 200 yards or less. Just tune a load to that rifle that consistently shoots under 1 MOA at 100 yards and you're all set. BTW with any kind of careful loading practices you can get that down to 1/2 MOA at 100 yds, and if it opens up to 1 full MOA at 200 you're still going to kill lots of deer!

I respect everyone's opinion on what bullet works best...just speaking my mind here. The majority of the deer we kill here in the woods are taken at 60 yards or less, and if someone misses it's probably not the bullet's fault. I usually see guys who THINK they are good at shooting come up with excuses, and guys who think they are expert reloaders blame the rifle. But of course they know more than me, right?

Holy cow, lots of guys who like to spend money on premium bullets! I have hunted deer in the Michigan woods since the 1970's and my longest shot here (other than crop damage deer control on bean farms) was about 175 yards. Did it with the 30-06 I got when I was 15. IMO there is no need for a premium performance bullet here or in Florida, where (from what I've seen on trips down there) the deer are generally smaller than our northern subspecies. So, my advice...Hornady makes several different but very affordable bullets that will work fine. You don't need a bonded-core bullet or a super high BC to kill a whitetail at 200 yards or less. Just tune a load to that rifle that consistently shoots under 1 MOA at 100 yards and you're all set. BTW with any kind of careful loading practices you can get that down to 1/2 MOA at 100 yds, and if it opens up to 1 full MOA at 200 you're still going to kill lots of deer!

I respect everyone's opinion on what bullet works best...just speaking my mind here. The majority of the deer we kill here in the woods are taken at 60 yards or less, and if someone misses it's probably not the bullet's fault. I usually see guys who THINK they are good at shooting come up with excuses, and guys who think they are expert reloaders blame the rifle. But of course they know more than me, right?

What I do know, is that this site is Long Range Hunting. Your generalization of reloaders is inaccurate, IMO.

Personally I like Barnes 168 gr. TTSX bullets with IMR 4350 powder. The last few animals I shot had multiple pieces of heart in the chest...including a hog that had a bullet hole through a leg bone... All passed through leaving approximately 2 in. exit. DRT. Before switching to Barnes I used Nosler 168 gr. Ballistic Tips with the same powder...good results but more meat damage.

If you are staying under 200 yards I'd stay away from the high dollar bullets. I've killed most of my deer with 150 grain Core Lokts, Sierras and Hornadys in my 30-06 and none of them failed. The only other bullet I shot a deer with in my 30-06 was a Hornady 190 grain boat tail spire point. Too much bullet! Shot twice broad side through the lungs with inadequate expansion.

Have been shooting 165 partitions out of my almost factory rem 700 for over 25 years and have never been disappointed. With that said my stock pile of partitions finally ran out-and they are more than needed for what your buddy is doing. I still have years worth of Sierra gamekings and hornady interlocks left and they kill deer just as dead for about half the price. Accuracy is even a little better. I get a little better accuracy with h-380 and imr4064 than imr4350-but all 3 are great. Definitely like the 165. - the gameking hp does cause more meat damage if you hit a shoulder though!

I'm using a Barnes TACX 110 gr. Out of a 30-06 Doing 3780 FPS with phenomenal results. Shoots very flat. And is devastating. The best part is that they hold together when fully expanded. And at 400 yard you only need have about 16 inches of drop if I remember correctly. Very accurate I killed a Elk at 430 yards and it went through both shoulders and out. Speed kills, it didn't even move after being punched. Dropped right on the spot. Killed several deer at 350 yds plus with them as well. If you try them I'm sure you won't regret it. I loaded them down some for my daughter to 3600 FPS. Since the kick was like a kick from my 300 win with a 200 grain bullet, when shooting them at full speed. And she kill a nice 4x4 Mulley at 450 yds we recovered the slug and it was fully expanded And weighed in at 100% of the weight it left the gun. It broke several ribs and turned the boiler room into jello. You couldn't ask for a cleaner kill.
You are more radical with the Barnes than I am. I stop going lighter when I lose the boat tail. 110's for .270, 120 for 7mm and 130 for 30 cal. The 7mm and 30 cal I send out over 4000 fps. Firebird and 30-378.

The bullet is the cheapest part of hunting. And the most important part.

I prefer 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tips for deer. They shoot very accurately from my Rem 700. They expand better than accubonds or tsx, so if you make a lung shot, There will be more internal damage, the deer won't run as far. Whereas the accubonds and tsx will pinhole through on a lung shot and the deer will run further and not leave much if any of a blood trail. For a shoulder shot, any of the above will work fine.

Personally I like Barnes 168 gr. TTSX bullets with IMR 4350 powder. The last few animals I shot had multiple pieces of heart in the chest...including a hog that had a bullet hole through a leg bone... All passed through leaving approximately 2 in. exit. DRT. Before switching to Barnes I used Nosler 168 gr. Ballistic Tips with the same powder...good results but more meat damage.
I use 55 grains of IMR-4350 pushing a 168 Barnes TTSX- 1/2 inch groups, and will drop any deer.

Sierra 165 GK with H4350. H4350 proved to be more accurate in my MOD 70 SS classic 30-06 than IMR or AA 4350. Killed Mule deer, Coues whitetail and elk with 165 GK and they have worked just fine dozens of times out of MOD 70 or SPFD 03. BTW Sierra GK's tended to be the more accurate bullets I tried.

My sporterized 03-A4 does not like boattail bullets (I know, probably a crown issue...) but luckily, it loves Nosler Partition 165s with IMR-4895. This rifle will shoot cloverleafs with this combination and I have never needed more gun or more bullet (so why do I have so many, my wife asks). 100% pass-through one-shot kills on mule deer, elk, long range pronghorns; I've been shooting this combo for 45 years and I'll never shoot another bullet in this rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.