Neck turning

I realize that this is an older post, but I want to be clear.
I am having a rifle put together in 270 wsm, I just received 100 lot of brass that I was going to start working with. From what I have read I should anneal and neck turn before firing any, correct?

IMO maybe not.

1. What kind of neck variance are you seeing to start with? Most of the time factory or non tight neck chamber, very little to be gained as long as brass is reasonably close in variance.

2. do you have proper tools to anneal? templaq and some type of annealing system that is proven. If not forget it. Just as liable to mess up the brass as to provide any benefit.

3. are you using neck bushing dies? If not forget neck turning.

I jumped on the "if it improves the shooting, I'll do it" band wagon. I'm not a great shot but neck turning among other case modifications was the biggest single improvement I saw. I turn all my cases, I like Winchester brass, but just turn them enough to clean them up to an even thickness. Norma (and I'm sure Lapua) have very good consistency and if I was a bit more lazy, I'd use high end brass and not turn. Not trying to sell it as I think powder and bullet seating is more important.

I've been using the RCBS kit and was thinking about switching to the K&N kit. Anyone have experience with both of these to comment if the K&N is worth the switch?

IMO maybe not.

1. What kind of neck variance are you seeing to start with? Most of the time factory or non tight neck chamber, very little to be gained as long as brass is reasonably close in variance.

2. do you have proper tools to anneal? templaq and some type of annealing system that is proven. If not forget it. Just as liable to mess up the brass as to provide any benefit.

3. are you using neck bushing dies? If not forget neck turning.

Actually I just got a box of 100 Norma brass and I quickly checked a couple of them and they seems very close. I do have Templaq and I was going to put together a tool for keeping the time consistent, I have done some annealing. I do not have neck bushing dies but plan to get a set if needed.

My plan was to see just how consistent the brass was before do any turning. I was mainly asking what the proper order of operation would be??

As far as neck turning tools go I had the K&M shell holder for the power screw driver but switched to the type that holds the shell and centers it by the primer pocket, I think it's 21st Century but not sure(not home to check it). It's much more secure on the shell without having to tighten it as much as the K&M.

the single most effective cure for improving accuracy is to toss those factory barrels in the dumpster and install the best cut rifled barrels commonly available on some websites ready to ship,
Bartlein, Krieger, Rock Creek, Brux..... a couple other good ones out there but those four will fix your accuracy issues, neck turning for factory barrels and chambers is a waste of time as most are already oversize to fit all the ammo on the market, turning off more neck material will only make sloppier ammo and degrade accuracy further

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts