National Graphics special on wolves played several nights ago

I agree with you...BUT

I agree with your sentiments but the reality is they haven't any interest in population control on the predators. The folks you mentioned would be perfectly happy for the ungulates to be brought back into "natural controlled" populations. This has a side benefit of decreasing the amount of potential tags/hunters. As opportunity falls less
of the hunting heritidge is carried out/passed down. Obviously hunting/gun use is something to be diminished as "guns" are seen as objects of "violence".

R

I didn't say it would be easy. But we have to start somewhere... Somehow those so called environmentalist have to be made aware that humans still play a major role in herd population and should not be excluded from it. It would be a total lie to the human race for those so-called environmentalist to say they are returning natural balance to an environment by excluding the human (predator) as also part of the fix.

IMO- Now more than ever the actions and words of this "Great American" should be the the model for what fellow hunters/environmentalist should be spreading to the general public...

In a civilized and cultivated country wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen. the excellent people who protest against all hunting, and consider sportsmen as enemies of wild life, are ignorant of the fact that in reality the genuine sportsman is by all odds the most important factor in keeping the larger and more valuable wild creatures from total extermination.

President Theodore Roosevelt: Creator of the National Parks.......

Remember that words can be bullets too!!

Words from a honest man of high high caliber will always make the biggest impression on your fellow man.

Last edited:
A couple of things I have noticed from people who come from an urban environment that have never spent any real time in the wild or have hunted. They look at the National Parks and other wild places like it's one big zoo with the animals to be protected at all cost from the incursion of humans. They also respond emotionally to wolves like they do with dogs. With their limited exposure to surviving or living in the wild they are totally amazed by the the raw beauty surrounding them and naturally they want to protect it. Then they pack themselves up into their nice warm SUV's and head back their homes in suburbia, posting pictures on Facebook and sending e-mails of their "Great Wilderness Adventure" Many become self appointed environmentalist and pass laws thinking they have done something good but instead they do great harm. Why?? It's because they forget we are a hunter gatherer species, an apex predator. We are a part of nature and not above it. They are totally clueless to the part humans have played in the ecosystem for countless millennia.
We have a problem with the wolves because hunters are not afforded the opportunity to manage the deer/elk population and so the wolves along with other predators are being reintroduced to reduce herd size. It's evident to us here ( but obviously not to others!!) that the wolf and cougar population is getting out of hand because they are protected and we (the hunters) have our hands tied by not being afforded the opportunity to manage them. Politicians made this mess... so give us the opportunity to clean it up!
Sad to say that modern man is increasingly becoming out of touch with our part in nature. We are unceasingly becoming lazy and self absorbed with our high tech toys. Tell your neighbor when they buy meat from the supermarket they just hired a hitman to do the killing for them. I'd rather fill the meat locker with game meat. An elk being harvested by a bullet is way more humane way to go then being ripped to shreds by a pack of wolves. But hey... You gotta eat. All creatures big and small have to eat something to survive.
I think the answer for us is to start banding together and work hard to educate the general population, teaching them basic survival skills, hunting/fishing, field dressing etc... Teach it in the schools as a program to prepare for natural disasters.
Serve some wild game meat in the city school cafeterias once in awhile and share some of your bounty with a clueless neighbor. We need to get more urbanites to see things from our viewpoint and not from these one sided agenda driven media shows.

Seems to me too many people think guns are bad, and hunters have guns, so hunting is bad. They say "One's perception is one's reality". We all gotta start working on that perception... We are the good guys here.... We care about the environment and want to keep it wild so we and our kids can continue to hunt and stay connected to nature and know we are not above it.
So call your congressman, senator and officials in fish & game and tell them to give us the opportunity to manage the herds AND the predators.

And ONE more thing....To everyone here have prosperous and Happy New Year!!
Very well put! And Happy New year to you and everyone else as well.
I severely stripes me to no end that someone from another state even has the audacity to think they have a say so about things in the state I live in, let alone a govt. system that allows it. Can't help but think of the Haggard song

I agree with you...BUT

I didn't say it would be easy. But we have to start somewhere... Somehow those so called environmentalist have to be made aware that humans still play a major role in herd population and should not be excluded from it. It would be a total lie to the human race for those so-called environmentalist to say they are returning natural balance to an environment by excluding the human (predator) as also part of the fix.

IMO- Now more than ever the actions and words of this "Great American" should be the the model for what fellow hunters/environmentalist should be spreading to the general public...

In a civilized and cultivated country wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen. the excellent people who protest against all hunting, and consider sportsmen as enemies of wild life, are ignorant of the fact that in reality the genuine sportsman is by all odds the most important factor in keeping the larger and more valuable wild creatures from total extermination.

President Theodore Roosevelt: Creator of the National Parks.......

Remember that words can be bullets too!!

Words from a honest man of high high caliber will always make the biggest impression on your fellow man.
Imagine, that all came from a staunch Republican. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:

This was a good read boys - I just had one thought - if you are in a wolf inhabited area and you aren't hunting them as hard as you would a trophy bull elk trying to fill your wolf tags, you don't have a lot of room to whine and complain about it. I am guilty here...I get not everywhere has tags available, or maybe as many tags as we would like, but idaho will give a hunter 5 wolf tags. Sometimes its easier to complain about the problem instead of making the effort to be part of the solution. I am not talking about just keeping a tag on your person in case you happen to see them. I am talking about actively hunting them. Mad respect to the guys out there putting in the time and money to fill their tags.

This was a good read boys - I just had one thought - if you are in a wolf inhabited area and you aren't hunting them as hard as you would a trophy bull elk trying to fill your wolf tags, you don't have a lot of room to whine.
Perhaps the reason why I don't complain about wolves?
Truthfully I very much enjoy living with wolves, lions, grizzlies, etc....
Almost as much as I enjoy reading the whining and complaining from people who don't live here about how wolves killing all THEIR elk. LOL!

Last edited:
This was a good read boys - I just had one thought - if you are in a wolf inhabited area and you aren't hunting them as hard as you would a trophy bull elk trying to fill your wolf tags, you don't have a lot of room to whine and complain about it. I am guilty here...I get not everywhere has tags available, or maybe as many tags as we would like, but idaho will give a hunter 5 wolf tags. Sometimes its easier to complain about the problem instead of making the effort to be part of the solution. I am not talking about just keeping a tag on your person in case you happen to see them. I am talking about actively hunting them. Mad respect to the guys out there putting in the time and money to fill their tags.
I'm trying
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/idaho-organization-is-setting-an-example.212556/
Just hope once I push the rock, I get some help.

I'am back, ok now Strait from Teddy Roosevelt- Creator of the National parks
Hunter conservtionist and U.S. President.... "The wolf is the arch type of ravin, the beast of waste and desolation. It is still found scattered thinly throughout all the wilder portions of the United States, but has everywhere retreated from the advance of civilization." from "Hunting the Grisly and Other Sketches" by Theodore Roosevelt originally published in this form in 1902.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.