Mystery Ammo: Who used them?

bamban

I came across this picture. Markings on the box appear to have some military lineage. Who used these ammo? Most likely made by Hornady.

IMG_1222.jpg

Some can be difficult to determine who made them? Those 106's are factory only and not for purchase as projectiles/bullets only for reloading. Something Hornady does like their defense handgun ammo.

EDL-X on the box denotes it's Hornady and also has BA for bolt action use. Might be op'd in a gas gun?

Green for the zombie ZMax made sense. Just a marketing ploy which is fine imho. But yellow? I can't think for any LE agency that would want yellow.

If it's .mil the tip color could be as simple as load ID. Same thought as putting green paint on M885 and red on M856. Might make sense to specifically not make it red so it's not assumed to be a tracer?

As far as being yellow it might just have been something they could stick in for testing purposes to distinguish from another load. To my knowledge yellow isn't a common color on small arms ammunition like red, green, and black are. 5.56 has been painted some pretty random ways for testing over the years.

It could be but the only small arms ammo I knew of with yellow tips was tracer ammo. My guess was since they liked to operate under the KISS principle they would want to avoid using yellow for small arms round that weren't tracers. It is possible that it's for some kind of military testing.