Who did you use, why did you use them, and were you happy?

Just out of curiosity (and I haven't gotten a price back from anybody yet) what would you expect to pay for a build like I have listed with the components and the gunsmith's time?

Don't forget 308nate at SSG. He did a rebarrel on a Sako TRG-S for me. Broughton #4 SS 28" in 300RUM. Bolt and barrel fluting, V-port muzzle brake, bedding job, and bead blasted finish. His work is second to none, in my opinion. Do realize that the builders you hear from, and of, in this forum, are in steady demand. So don't expect your build to be a fast turnaround. You don't want your build rushed. So you can't expect them to rush the ones ahead of you. Sounds like you have a pretty good parts list going. You might want to start ordering your parts now, if you haven't already. The Manufacturers usually have a pretty good backlog also.
There are a few BAT actions for sale on the Benchrest Central classifieds now. You might want to check there. Good Luck with your project. It sounds like a good one.

bb204

So I think I narrowed down a lot of pieces, what do you guys think about Bartlein VS Hart barrels?

So I think I narrowed down a lot of pieces, what do you guys think about Bartlein VS Hart barrels?

My first choice is Bartlein but last I heard their lag time was 12+ months. My second choice would be Brux but there is nothing wrong with a Hart barrel either. Incidentally Bartlein and Brux are cut rifled barrels. Hart, Shilen and PacNor are button rifled.

Gunsmith not mentioned is Daryl Kopriva.

DARA Rifles: Custom Rifles for Varmint, Benchrest, and Hunting

His contact info is on his website. He builds some awsome 1000yd benchrest guns as well as hunting rifles.

James

Interesting nobody has mentioned optics, which, I wouldn't have blamed them because I originally started asking about gunsmiths and builds, but if you were building that rifle what glass would you put on it? I have shot Leupolds on almost everything I have shot, but a lot of friends are suggesting Nightforce, and I see some of the sponsors here are for Huskemaw and other brands. What would you put on it and what power? I am going to be hunting with this more than punching paper...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.