My Rem 700 FIRED on Bolt Closing!!

HA! Join the club!
Happened me back in the '70s with a new Remington 660 carbine with a blind magazine. Unloading required working the bolt. One day after a deer hunt I did just that, ejecting the cartridges onto the driver's seat of my sports car when BLAM! I blew a hole in the passenger side floor, narrowly missing the right front tire. I SOLD that d@mn rifle.

Remington had some real problems in those days with the 700. Triggers and safeties were not only poor but sometimes unsafe, as many lawsuits (settled out of court) can show.

Eric B.

HA! Join the club!
Happened me back in the '70s with a new Remington 660 carbine with a blind magazine. Unloading required working the bolt. One day after a deer hunt I did just that, ejecting the cartridges onto the driver's seat of my sports car when BLAM! I blew a hole in the passenger side floor, narrowly missing the right front tire. I SOLD that d@mn rifle.

Remington had some real problems in those days with the 700. Triggers and safeties were not only poor but sometimes unsafe, as many lawsuits (settled out of court) can show.

Eric B.
He has a timney trigger in it

I would call Bartlein.I just stopped in there this morning and talked to the guys about a problem with one of my rifles they are always very helpful. Plus I am sure they would like to know about the issue, regardless of what the problem was caused from.

I would call Bartlein.I just stopped in there this morning and talked to the guys about a problem with one of my rifles they are always very helpful. Plus I am sure they would like to know about the issue, regardless of what the problem was caused from.
I called them & spoke with mark who seems to think it is something within trigger (sear). I didn't have this issue until I got the gun back from bartlein. My thought was it was something went wrong when the action & bolt were trued. Or was the trigger damaged in the shipping process? I called timney & they walked me through the process of adjusting the sear which didn't solve the issue. Although to be fair I have never adjusted a sear so that could just be me not knowing enough to do it. Anyway I ordered a jewel & im sending the timney back to them for repair. Once I get the jewel in if the issue repeats then I guess the gun goes back to bartlein :-( Just so frustrating but you'll have that on the big jobs :)

I've had more of those drop the firing pin than any other on Rems, course you can't adjust the sear so you send them back and forth till you get a jewel or Timney.
just stop trying to polish the roller and you shouldn't have any more problems (just kidding with you). I've seen so many unsafe timneys and factory rem triggers that people monkeyed with trying to get the sear ".....just right.......BANG!" .

just stop trying to polish the roller and you shouldn't have any more problems. I've seen so many unsafe timneys and factory rem triggers that people monkeyed with trying to get the sear ".....just right.......BANG!" .
No polishing, it's just the way they are, you'll be fine with a TT on most Rems but I've had a few that would just not function with a TT because you can not set the sear. Perfectly fine with a Jewel or Timney!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.