Rem 700 bolt timing?

MagnumManiac

Can someone school me on bolt timing of the Rem 700?
I have just bought 3 rifles with the RR prefix serial number.
One I have already replaced the bolt due to failure to extract fired cases.
The other 2 I would like to fix the issue prior to finding a problem.
If I buy the fixture, remove the handles and silver solder the handles back on, will this address and fix the issue?

Cheers

There are a bunch of 700s with RR prefix that have no problems extracting fired cases even though the extraction cams don't meet. Just making the cams meet may not cure all your extraction problems. The condition of the chamber and the load might have a bearing, here. I am not familiar with the fixture you mentioned. I gave the problem of 'location' a lot of thought and made my own. I think TIG is the way to go, as silver soldering induces a lot of 'extra' heat where as TIG is so localized. I almost always use an aftermarket handle as the RR handle needs a bit of 'work' before welding so it works right.

Not all of the aftermarket handles (namely PTG) are made right either. The smaller portion of the handle that acts as a stop for rotation is too long and prevents the cam/ramp portion of the handle from making contact with the action correctly on the RR actions. It's about .100" too long. Most of the time the handle is too far back as well.

I try no
Not all of the aftermarket handles (namely PTG) are made right either. The smaller portion of the handle that acts as a stop for rotation is too long and prevents the cam/ramp portion of the handle from making contact with the action correctly on the RR actions. It's about .100" too long. Most of the time the handle is too far back as well.
I try NOT to use PT&G anything! But, about every PTG handle I have used needed altered. I like Hollands' handle.

The fixture I mentioned is offered here in Australia and made locally. It is supposed to address the issue of a mistimed bolt handle and place it in the correct position prior to soldering/brazing/welding. And, yes, any alterations for fitting are addressed by trial and error.
It just has me puzzled as to how Remington could get it wrong.
If need be, I could just replace the 2 bolts, will have to see once this lockdown ends...if it ever does.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.