Rem 700 cam/timing fix

dfanonymous

I have a 700 LA that's out of time. I figured that out while ago so I don't remember what the gap was when I put a feeler gauge in it but between that and there being no (zero) primary extraction I'm 100% it's a timing issue.
So the question is: is doing a tig weld the only fix?

I'm no expert on this question but it seems to me that you either have to remove the bolt handle and reposition it or you have to build up the corner of the bolt handle to ride against the primary cam surface on the action.

If its a soldered on bolt handle, you can remove and re-time. Best done by a smith unless you are good at sliver solder.
I'm not. I suck at welds and soldering. I get them to work, and they look like ****. I learned this from building brackets and repairing armor on my Tacoma.

I have a 700 LA that's out of time. I figured that out while ago so I don't remember what the gap was when I put a feeler gauge in it but between that and there being no (zero) primary extraction I'm 100% it's a timing issue.
So the question is: is doing a tig weld the only fix?

Are you having extraction issues (checkout ~5:25 mark)?

If you want it fixed right just find a gunsmith who will retime and either tig or silver brazed back in the correct position which means the bolt and action are both needed, any other way means it a guess that will be slightly better than the original.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.