Model 70 Lock Time Fix

65WSM

A fellow range memeber has a 7mm Long Necker which is a full size 300 H&H necked to 7mm with a extra long neck. His load today at the range was 73 gr of IMR 7828 with 168 Berger VLDs.

My friend, Scott, believes the lock time of his Model 70 push feed is too slow. It looks slow to me but not as slow as my Santa Barbra Mauser in .270 Weatherby that was barreled in the 70s by McMillian.

Is there anyone who would make a light firing pin for him?

Years ago I had "Sam" who ran Answer muzzle brakes make a titanium firing pin for my Model 70 with the longspring Mauser extractor. Scott has tried the Tubbs kit and it does not fit. I have the Tubbs speedlock pin on two of Winchesters. Where they fit they are great.

A fellow range memeber has a 7mm Long Necker which is a full size 300 H&H necked to 7mm with a extra long neck. His load today at the range was 73 gr of IMR 7828 with 168 Berger VLDs.

My friend, Scott, believes the lock time of his Model 70 push feed is too slow. It looks slow to me but not as slow as my Santa Barbra Mauser in .270 Weatherby that was barreled in the 70s by McMillian.

Is there anyone who would make a light firing pin for him?

Years ago I had "Sam" who ran Answer muzzle brakes make a titanium firing pin for my Model 70 with the longspring Mauser extractor. Scott has tried the Tubbs kit and it does not fit. I have the Tubbs speedlock pin on two of Winchesters. Where they fit they are great.

you can add a speed lock kit, and maybe will be about as fast as a standard Remington at best (I did a short action Mod. 70 once). Still I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere as fast as a Savage action or a Remington with a Speed lock kit. Seems like my kit was from Tubbs.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.