Timing Win Model 70 safety?

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
I have a brand new FN made Win Model 70 EW, yes it was made/put together in Portugal.
It has a very stiff, to my mind, safety from the middle position to the fire position.
My older New Haven model was much easier to operate.

Is there an easy way to 'time' the safety so that the notchiness goes away and I can 'ease' the lever forward without the sudden 'snap' caused by the hesitation?

All help appreciated.

Cheers.
:eek:

If you disassemble the bolt shroud and take the safety out you should be able to tell what's going on. Have it cleaned and flushed, and if the problem remains.

Since it is a new rifle, I would suggest contacting Winchester customer service and explain the issue. Sounds like a warranty repair or replace matter. Hope this helps. All the best

If you disassemble the bolt shroud and take the safety out you should be able to tell what's going on. Have it cleaned and flushed, and if the problem remains.

Since it is a new rifle, I would suggest contacting Winchester customer service and explain the issue. Sounds like a warranty repair or replace matter. Hope this helps. All the best
Thanks for the reply.
I have already cleaned the assembly, made no difference.
I am hesitant to dis-assemble the bolt further, as it is new I don't want to screw up the warranty.
I have heard that sometimes the small notches milled into the safety are slightly off and need 'tweaking' and 'smoothing'.

Maybe I'll just hit them up for a warranty issue.

Cheers.
:confused:

Does it work? You just don't like the way it feels? If it works they probably won't do anything for you. I have taken them per and stones buts and rough machine marks off and they have improved a great deal. You don't need to do much, and do a little at a time.

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.