My Rem 700 FIRED on Bolt Closing!!

Watch it, I'm retired but trigger finger still works. :cool:

you mean your safety? :cool:

p28-469t1395935958rf77d0f_preview.jpg

^lol

I just had a similar problem at a match, only my rifle never went only decocked on the cartridge.
I have a Calvin elite, just tightened the sear engagement until I could not slam fire it.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/700-action-not-cocking-when-cycled.219642/

One of the reasons that i prefer the Jewel trigger is that unlike many two and three piece triggers the jewel has a forth link that prevents the trigger from firing if the safety is flipped off with the rifle cocked. The trigger has to be pullet to disconnect this link to fire.

I have tried many times to make the firing pin fall by flipping the safety or banging the butt stock on the floor with the trigger set on mere ounces and it would not fire.

Many triggers don't have this feature and can be unsafe if sear is adjusted wrong or two light for the design.

http://www.ada.ru/guns/remington/jewell/manual_en.htm

Not pushing the jewel, just stating the reason it is my favorite when I can get it for the action used.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
They built a 22-250 for me years ago, it has headspace issues bad but shoots good. If you are looking around Mississippi again look at Deep South tactical they do great work.

ppoole, there were several issues with the Rifle from Dixie Precision. The bolt would hardly work. They had cerakoted the bolt to heavy and cerakoted the action rails, trigger issues, feed issues, etc. Two different gunsmiths worked on it to get it shooting. I had saw a .308 he built many years ago that was made well is why I checked with them. Something happened to make him lose any sense of pride he used to have. GA Precision is building a 6.5 PRC for me. I expect a totally different experience from Alton at Dixie Precision. I offered to give the barreled action back for a refund. I supplied the action. I never heard from them again.

Yeah I spoke with someone that used to work with them and they told me how he used a cheater pipe to fix headspace issues. I also had cerakote issues with them (4 times same rifle). He is capable of making great rifles but instead of getting help he just cuts corners now. I was recommended to them and the people that recommended them now will not allow one of their guns in the shop.

One thing I never liked was when Remington removed the bolt lock feature on their safety, you knew instantly when you tried to lift the bolt handle if the safety was on or off, you can't do this any more. I hesitate to think how many problems have arisen from people fiddling with the trigger to test if on or off sometimes with a loaded chamber!!!
BB

OP here. SO....I received, installed, and fired my new TT Trigger and all is well. I slammed the bolt like I did previously and it DID NOT slam fire so I'm good to go.....BUT I did notice something when I cleaned the gun last night. On approx. 1/4 of the face of one of the rear-facing bolt-lugs I noticed a bit of galling that was not there before this whole fiasco began.
I can tell that it's fresh and I'm assuming that it happened when I slammed the hell out of the bolt to get it to slam fire a hundred times!
Again, it's on about 1/4 of the bolt and looks like a fresh abrasion in the metal...ugh.

Is THIS something to be concerned about? The gun shot just as it did before.

Thanks!

I would say probably not as its probably from working your bolt so hard trying to induce a malfunction but I can't see how bad it actually looks. Can you post a pic up?

I'll post a picture when I get home thanks!

It has to be from me doing that since it wasn't there before.

Can the scuff affect anything other than it being cosmetic?
Shoots the same as before

Ingwe
Glad the trigger issue got resolved.
Do you grease your bolt lugs? Many people overlook greasing them. No oil.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.