COL 3.353"
Vel 3130fps

Berger VLD Hunting 168gr
Nosler Brass
CCI 250 Primers
70gr H1000
COL 3.353"
Vel 3140fps

It showed slight signs of pressure with the 180´s in 1 every 5 shots. Maybe seating the bullet a little longer will help reducing the pressure. I still have some room to work in that matter without jamming the bullets in the rifling.

Something is not right about that muzzle velocity. That is way too fast for a 7 mag with 180's

Something is not right about that muzzle velocity. That is way too fast for a 7 mag with 180's

I get that a lot, but if my MV was wrong I would´t be able to place my shots with the corrections my ballistic calculator give me. I tried a new load today that worked great. Awesome MV with absolutely no signs of pressure:
Berger VLD Hunting 180gr
Nosler Brass
70Gr Retumbo
CCI 250
COL 3.430"
Avg MV 3105 fps

I shot two 3 shot groups. The first one is not bad, not as good as the one I tried 2 weeks ago, but that load showed too much pressure signs, it even damaged a primer pocket, so even though I shot a great group, it was not safe to continue using it. The second group started great, first 2 shots went virtually through the same hole, but the third one went a little lower. I´m 99% sure it was my fault, maybe a pulled it a little bit.
I used the AVG MV to try a shot @ 810m and it hit dead center.
Here are some pics, I´m uploading a pic from the previous group for comparison purposes.

Attachments

• IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3981.jpg
    IMG_3981.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 56
The muzzle velocity is correct but it's the actual speed I was referring to. I'm sure that your over pressure whether you're seeing the signs or not. Have someone run it on quick load to see what pressure is needed in a 7 mag case to reach that velocity if you're so interested. It is not possible to reach those numbers any other way unless there is a ton of freebore but even then I would think it's still over pressure and not likely to be as accurate as what you have been getting. The Berger manual is rather conservative but also the only one that I've found to be reasonably accurate in regards to muzzle velocity. Your about 250 fps faster than the max load.
It may be shooting well for you but you only get one face......
I don't see the risk verses reward ratio as being worth it

I'm not trying to rag on you but rather help out

I shot this group yesterday. Pretty nice!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4163.jpg
    IMG_4163.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4164.jpg
    IMG_4164.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 83
Made a few upgrades to my rifle. Lets see how it works out.
Upgraded the stock for a manners T4
Replaced the Obernforff floorplate with a M-5 DBM and a 10rd mag

I think the magazine is way too big. I´ll order a 5rd mag and see how it goes.

Maybe a cerakote paint job will make it look great. Graphite black for the barreled action and Mil-Spec green or OD Green for the bolt.
I want a tactical bolt knob but since it´s skeletonized I need to replace the complete lever and scares me a little.

Attachments

• IMG_6099.jpg
    IMG_6099.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6100.jpg
    IMG_6100.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6101.jpg
    IMG_6101.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 81
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.