My new Rig

Thanks for the advice. A friend of mine is insisting I should get it bedded but my gut was telling me to leave it alone.

I'd leave it unless it starts throwing shots. At the same time though I would doubt it would hurt anything if it was beded. Great shooting! I am jealous.

I used the caliper to measure the group. .354"-.284"=0.070"

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 56
If you can do that or close to it consistently and you bed it. Let me know where you live and I will come smack you with the dumb dumb stick! If you bed it, you wont be shooting any better than what you are shooting right now. And it may make it shoot worse, you never know. So why push it?

I´ve been trying to make 168 VLD hunting bullets work with my rifle but it has been impossible. I tried seating them from 3.300" out to 3.450" (0.005" off the lands) and never been able to shoot under 1.5" @100. Should I give up on this bullet?? Or is there a chance of making them work somehow. I bought like 500 of them thinking they would work just fine.
So far the best groups have been shot with the 180 VLD´s and 154 SST´s. 154 InterBond won't work either. Also 1.5"-2" groups @100

Why are you worrying about the 168 vlds when the 180's are working so well for you? I would use the 180's and never look back! Someone will definitely buy the 168's from you on here.

Why are you worrying about the 168 vlds when the 180's are working so well for you? I would use the 180's and never look back! Someone will definitely buy the 168's from you on here.

Generally speaking, shooting the biggest, highest BC bullet you can find is best. that is 'generally' but if your intended use is to shoot 600 and closer, the lighter bullet going faster has an advantage. Without running the numbers, I would guess that the 180grain bullets only start to achieve a real advantage over the 168grain bullets when the distances gets to be 1k or farther.

Generally speaking, shooting the biggest, highest BC bullet you can find is best. that is 'generally' but if your intended use is to shoot 600 and closer, the lighter bullet going faster has an advantage. Without running the numbers, I would guess that the 180grain bullets only start to achieve a real advantage over the 168grain bullets when the distances gets to be 1k or farther.

Yeah...I definitely understand that. But if the 180's are shooting that good and he can't find a good load with the 168's then why waste the time, money and barrel life. That's all I was meaning to say.

I tried it @1367yds yesterday and the 180's worked like a charm. 2 out of 3 shots hit the 3ft X 3ft plate about 9" below the dot. Maybe my MV was a little slower than I thought. My spotter told me I was hitting a little high, so I made the correction and missed the next 3 shots. I realized what the problem was until I went to pick up the target. I was very happy with the results, first 2 shots made it to the plate only using my ballistic calculator. The rest were misses because of me making a wrong correction.

I didn´t tried it @ 100 because it was very windy and I thought it was pointless. I´ll wait to see if this week I get better luck

I tried it @1367yds yesterday and the 180's worked like a charm. 2 out of 3 shots hit the 3ft X 3ft plate about 9" below the dot. Maybe my MV was a little slower than I thought. My spotter told me I was hitting a little high, so I made the correction and missed the next 3 shots. I realized what the problem was until I went to pick up the target. I was very happy with the results, first 2 shots made it to the plate only using my ballistic calculator. The rest were misses because of me making a wrong correction.

Your dope was pretty much dead-on. If you muzzle velocity were 10fps slower (which is an acceptable number), the bullet would strike 10" below your POA at 1367yards. Alternatively, it is possible your hold was not absolutely exact. Given this, I conclude that your dope was dead-on.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.