My New Long Range .338 Lapua

Tyler, I think it is very managable. I probably put 40 down the tube in one range session and I was not bothered at all. It weighs 15.8 pounds with scope and bi-pod and I think the brake is very efficent.

Jeff

Too bad I don't live nearer to the Lake! The weight is a bit less than the Edge I want to have built, but it's a bit less velocity too. Should be about the same recoil.

I hear you. I played around for ever with the decission between an Edge and a Lapua. I opted for the Lapua for the brass quality and I have enough velocity to keep a 300 SMK supersonic to I think around 2200 yds. If I decide I need to go further I will look at 375's.

Jeff

Have you ever been to the Owensville gun club? They have some steel to shoot to about 600 yards. Where did you find 1000 yards near the lake?

No I haven't been to Owensville. What is it near? I just joined some local hunter I have gotten to know here on a 1200 acre hunting/ shooting lease. I shot 500 there the first time out and as we drove out I ranged some hill sides at 1000. So far I have only shot this Lapua on my trip out to Montana to pick it up. Then again at a friends place near Buffalo Wy.

Jeff

It's about an hour south of Jeff City. My grandma and grandpa's both live there, along with lots of relatives. I go and shoot there with my grandpa whenever I go down there. Actually, he doesn't really shoot, but he watches and smiles when I hit stuff.

Looks like it is about 70 miles for me. Let me know when you are going to shoot and maybe I can meet you there. I'll bring the edge up and you can try it on for size. Where are you from?

Jeff

If you have ever heard of Auxvasse...near Columbia? What are you doing early next week? I work Saturday, then I'm free till the next thursday.

Tyler, did you say the Lapua is not as fast as the 338-300 ultramag? I have a ton of data on all the big 338's and on average my data shows the 338 Lapua consistently falls between the 338-300 ultramag and the 338-378 wby. The 338 Lapua usually hits almost a 100 fps faster than the 338-300 ultramag, or both are basically equivalent in other words. Various barrels influence that but I am talking averages and on average testing a bunch of different guns the Lapua is usually just a tad faster with my data. I had a shop right next to my 1000 yard range with about a hundred feet from the reloading bench to the shooting bench so I got to test a whole lot of stuff and build quite a lot of reloading data with all the different big 338's I was building there. Both are excellent rifles and I own and shoot several both.

I haven't seen a 338 Lapua load over 2700 fps with a 300 grain SMK, but 338 Edge can do 2800 fps easy, 2900 fps if you push it from what I have seen.

Just some things I have seen first hand on this subject. My .338 Lapua is pushing 300 SMK's over 2750 with NO sign of high pressure. Some of the .338 Edges pushing them much faster than that, are seeing primer pockets swell very quickly. I am not saying all Edges are this way and by no means am I discrediting the edge, it is an awesome round. But this is why I chose the Lapua. It will get me out to 2100 plus and the brass may cost more but it will last much longer. Just my opinion!

Jeff

Didn't know they could shoot so fast! That's a good argument, too bad it's too large for a Savage action. What would a 338 Lapua Ackley do? I see no reason to not go Ackley if you don't like case trimming. (Me!)

I held off on the AI version till we field tested the gun. I figured if we needed the little extra umph we could pull the barrel and reream it to AI.

In looking into ordering comp Redding dies they would need to be custom made from reamer specs or a fire-formed case. This was due to the numerous different angles on reamers available for the .338 Lapua AI.

Then when I looked at the gains, time to get non-stocking dies, fire-forming, etc. I was not sure I wanted to go that route.

After the field test, data from two crony's, and consecutive hits on the 2100 yard 36" gong. I was convinced I didn't need it for my perpose with this rifle.

As for trimming, too early to tell, but we are in no way pushing the limit and cases look to be going to go a few loadings with out trimming. Plus I am convinced the Lapua brass is going to hold up much better than some others loaded close to max.

Jeff

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.