My new Long Range Rifle

Prieto9000

I finally finished my project.
Rem 700 SS
.338 EDGE
Barrel bought from a good friend here @ LRH
DE Muzzle Break (not very happy with it).
Jewell trigger @ 1lb
Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Stock
Sightron SIII 8-32X56

Loading 89Gr H1000 with 300Gr OTM's

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 102
Whats not to like about the DE break? It looks pretty good in the pic, though I can see the transition from the barrel to break a little (sometimes it cant be helped). Did DE put the gun together?

Either way it looks like a nice rig. Im looking at rebarreling my .338 RUM to an Edge soon.

The reason your brake isn't working very well is because it is turned down too small to adequately handle a 300grain bullet. Change to a larger brake and it will tame the recoil down.

I use one of Ross Schuler's one inch diameter (round), three port and it is great on the edge. I have never understood why folks turn them down to match a small barrel. In any of the baffle design brakes: the more surface area or diameter for gasses to impact on the better. How big around is that brake?

I see you have my favorite rings.... Warne Maxima. A real PITA to lap but once lapped and aligned, the best gripping rings made.

Nice rug too. I collect Kerman designs in hand made Persian.

Whats not to like about the DE break? It looks pretty good in the pic, though I can see the transition from the barrel to break a little (sometimes it cant be helped). Did DE put the gun together?

Either way it looks like a nice rig. Im looking at rebarreling my .338 RUM to an Edge soon.

After doing some research a lot of people told me that with this particular break in this caliber, I should expect a recoil like a 30-06sprg or similar, but this **** thing kicks like a mule. It's not like i'm getting rid of it because of that. I'm just a little disappointed.

I had my gunsmith to install a Wyatt's extended magazine box, but can`t fit ammo larger than 3.700" Maybe the wyatt's detachable magazine will allow a little larger bullets.
I'm only complaining about the looks of the ammo, looks a little odd with the bullets seating so deep, but the groups are amazing (3/4" @ 325yds). This was with the first load we tried. Hopefully we can get a tighter groups with more press work.

All the work was made by my gunsmith back here!!

I use one of Ross Schuler's one inch diameter (round), three port and it is great on the edge. I have never understood why folks turn them down to match a small barrel. In any of the baffle design brakes: the more surface area or diameter for gasses to impact on the better. How big around is that brake?

It`s around .680" I bought it with the barrel to a buddy here @ LRH. He gave me the barrel with the brake already turned and installed. I personally like the break to be bigger than the barrel, specially the ones that are a little squared.
Between the Defensive Edge and the Muscle Break which one do you guys think would be better??

I have several DE brakes, and they work awesome. I have a few in the size u have on sporter weight 300 Rums and smaller, and when comparing the before and after, they are very effective. In a sporter wieght gun shooting 300 gr bullets, i believe the rifle is gonna have alot of felt recoil with any brake. I also have a few of the bigger DE brakes 3 port, 4 port, and 5 port, and the bigger ones are no doubt more effective.

I have several DE brakes, and they work awesome. I have a few in the size u have on sporter weight 300 Rums and smaller, and when comparing the before and after, they are very effective. In a sporter wieght gun shooting 300 gr bullets, i believe the rifle is gonna have alot of felt recoil with any brake. I also have a few of the bigger DE brakes 3 port, 4 port, and 5 port, and the bigger ones are no doubt more effective.

I'm thinking about changing the brake for a bigger one. Maybe next year after deer season is over.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.