My New Long Range .338 Lapua

I'm not trying in any way to start an argument because both of these are nearly identical. I was basically just creating conversation based on my experiences. To tell you the truth individual barrels are going to make the difference between these two from what I have seen. I kept two 338 Lapuas for myself as lightweight 26" barrel hunting rifles and they will shoot right with or a tad faster than my three, 28", 338-300 ultramags. I bet if you built 5 of each identical the different barrels would be the difference and they would split up about equally as to the fastest. Some the ultramag would be faster and some the lapua. I know I love to shoot both of them. Like you say the beauty of the ultramag is that it fits on a standard mag action and that is the real difference between the two.

Got to send about 60 rounds down the tube while there. It was built by Joe Starns in Conrad and he has a very nice range to test his stuff. I even managed to smack a couple 300 smk's on his 2100 yard 36" gong. After that going back to the 1000 and 1200 yard target seem easy. This is my first all out long range rig, and as you can tell, I am hooked!!:cool:

Still plenty of time to practise before hunting season. I need to lean to read the wind before I try long shots on game. But if it is a calm morning Elk and Muley's beware.:D

Jeff
DSC00363.jpg
Jeff, Glad you like your new rifle. It seemed to suit you pretty well. Got the video shooting the glow stick at 1000 to prove it:D. Videos turned out pretty good. Finaly got them burned on to one disk. The one with the 1000 yard gopher shot didn't want to copy,had a file error or something but with a whole bunch of BS got it burned to one that will work. I will send all the originals plus the copy with the gopher shot when your 300 SMK's show up.
Thank's for making the trip,you're welcome anytime.
Trgrman

Hi Joe, yes I am very happy with the rifle, you do fine work. I will be back this fall and maybe I can get a day to come knock some paint off your targets. I had a great time up there with you guys!

Thanks for a great rifle and all the hospitality.

Jeff

Wow, shot this rifle the other day and saw it shot...just about perfection! Once Broz got his zero fixed from that high altitude air, he hit pretty much exactly where he aimed, every time!

Wow, shot this rifle the other day and saw it shot...just about perfection! Once Broz got his zero fixed from that high altitude air, he hit pretty much exactly where he aimed, every time!

I had Trgrman build me a 338 Lapua and like BROZ I couldn't be happier with the results. Super fast turn around time and it's one hell of an accurate rifle. Do your self a favor and have Trgrman build ya a Lapua, you won't be dissapointed.

I had Trgrman build me a 338 Lapua and like BROZ I couldn't be happier with the results. Super fast turn around time and it's one hell of an accurate rifle. Do your self a favor and have Trgrman build ya a Lapua, you won't be dissapointed.

Thank's Hogwild, if you're happy I'm happy. I might have to get around to building myself a Lapua. Been thinking about opening up the bolt on my 700 in 338 RUM. Brass is holding ok now at a little over 2800 fps but like some of the Edges the primer pockets won't hold much over that. If Lapua would start making 300 RUM brass that Edge could realy push a 300 gr. like it should.
TRGR

Had her out again yesterday. Been shooting every weekend getting ready for my trip out West. You have to look pretty hard in the Ozarks to find a place to stretch her legs. But I managed to come up with a place for some steel banging at 997 yards. First two I was off a bit on the wind a slight correction and windage and was dead on. This gave me some needed info for tragectory validation on my Nightforce program. Sure is a hoot waiting to hear that "clank!!"gun):)

338Lapua900.jpg

awesome jeff! did u find a place to shoot 1k around where u live? i went shooting sat. with a buddy on his family's land a couple hours north of mexico, and we shot 860 yards! it was fun we didnt group as well as you tho :( lol but we r pretty sure we can set up to shoot 1k on the same land just differently we might b going again in a couple weeks if u r free?

Savagebien, I got in on a hunting lease down here about 1/2 hr from the house. I can get 1000 there in two places so far.

Thanks for the invite, keep me posted I need the practise.gun)

Jeff

awesome! i will, not sure if we will end up going again but i hope so!!! please give my thread in long range hunting & shooting a look c if u have any advice, thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.