My long range rifle/scope combo (Spendy but not too much)

Litehiker

OK, the searching is over and the waiting has begun for a good long range western hunting rifle and scope combination.

RIFLE-> 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro in burnt bronze Cerakote (arriving in August according to my store)

SCOPE-> Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 illuminated (arriving tomorrow sez FED EX)
Talley rings (also burnt Bronze Cerakote W/ bubble level in rear top ring half)

All together it will run me around $3,000. once sales taxes are paid. Not too bad but don't tell my wife. And I am selling 2 Browning rifles (6.5 CM & .300 Win mag) and a .300 Win mag Remington/HS Precision target rifle to "thin out" my safe a bit so any "guilt" for this new purchase will be banished.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Eric B.

Sounds like an awesome setup. Don't worry about the wife she will get over it. Best thing to do is to get u a nice set of banana hammock sexy drawers and treat her! She will get over it and u get a new rifle! Win, win for everyone!

I dont ask my wife where she got the money for new hair straightener, and she doesn't asked me where I got the money for a new rifle, I dont ask what she spent, and she doesn't ask what I spent......we don't fight much unless she throws my new rain gear in the dryer, or I a simmer an antelope skull in her new crockpot. We both have boundaries!!!!
Sounds like a nice rig, hope it works out for and she doesn't get in the big D!!!!

I'm also buying a Magnetospeed to know my various loss velocities.
At 1st I was going to just use factory loads B/C it's for hunting, not competition. But now I'm getting the itch to reload for it, so another set of Redding Precision dies may be in the future.
For now it's Hornady 140 gr. and 147 gr. ELD-M and maybe the 143 gr. ELD-X factory ammo.

WEDGY, I think with 143gr. up to 150 gr.+ bullets I'll get to maybe 2,930 fps for a good node. We'll see. There's a special powder some are using that gives good accuracy but it's in short supply. I have some H 1000 too.
And I may try some Hornady 130 gr. bullets B/C I get good accuracy with them in my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle.
Speed is not my goal, just very good accuracy. I will not use the provided Browning radial brake but just the thread cap, so all accuracy testing will be done with that.

DUSTY, Good advice, even if it is phonetically spelled, like a 10th grade student I once taught. ;o) I won't say anything to her if you guys don't.

BTW, MY NEW BUSHNELL LRTS SCOPE JUST ARRIVED! Ooooo, "New Item Buzz"!
I've decided to mount it on my current X-Bolt Pro just to see if I can shoot a good square and tall target. If all checks out I'll keep it.

Eric B.
OK, I looked the LRTS scope over and I really like the illuminated reticle. Very clean and it has 10 brightness adjustments. Plus it uses the same coin battery that my little backpacking headlamp uses.
Also the glass is very good for the price of the scope.

Last edited:
Remmy, you are an enabler!
On the "6.5 Creedmoor" forum my byline is, "I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times." ;o)

But yeah, I'll likely get the Redding Precision Dies B/C they work so well for my 6.5 Creedmoor ammo.
Lessee, Magnetospeed, Redding Precision Dies, more powder, new brass & bullets, etc., etc. Hey, just paid off my house so "I can afford it.", well, kinda...

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.