Too much or not enough powder?

Kingsgr8

I'm just wondering how long powder will stay good in unopened containers stored in cool dry places. I have just acquired some form 2005 & other unknown dates.
Thanks for your advise & opinions

You know the other thing that I had to start doing in todays crazy world, since you can't buy large quantities of the same lot, is keeping 8lb jugs and then mixing like powders from different lots (Let's say H4350) shake them up really well and then put it back in the empty jug.. now you have your own lot!

Last edited:
I concur with the foregoing remarks. Stored properly your powder may well outlast you. I have an older friend up in the mountains who is still loading rounds out of metal cans. Price sticker on one is $6.95. Tear up some when I see it.
To bad the whole shipping powder thing is so complicated I have some powder in the metal cans that I will never use, but giving it to someone who uses a bunch of powder isn't a simple thing .
Maybe taking it to the rifle range is the best thing to do.

To bad the whole shipping powder thing is so complicated I have some powder in the metal cans that I will never use, but giving it to someone who uses a bunch of powder isn't a simple thing .
Maybe taking it to the rifle range is the best thing to do.
Or hanging onto it for that crazy day when you need to feed your family or defend against the invading bad guys…🤣

Nitrocellulose and Nitroglycerin - SMOKELESS POWDER
I spoke with contacts at Hodgdon on several different occasions and was told as long as the powder is stored out of the sunlight and outside weather, it will last for many many years - a lifetime. Powder manufactured from WWII is still good. Not to say that all Smokeless Powder doesn't break down over time it depends on the manufacture and the condition it is stored.

Nitrocellulose and Nitroglycerin - SMOKELESS POWDER
I spoke with contacts at Hodgdon on several different occasions and was told as long as the powder is stored out of the sunlight and outside weather, it will last for many many years - a lifetime. Powder manufactured from WWII is still good. Not to say that all Smokeless Powder doesn't break down over time it depends on the manufacture and the condition it is stored.
Where you bee hiding?

I'm just wondering how long powder will stay good in unopened containers stored in cool dry places. I have just acquired some form 2005 & other unknown dates.
Thanks for your advise & opinions

I have some Korean War surplus, which was not always stored in perfect conditions......it's still just fine. At least it was the last time I checked it! 😉 memtb