Not long range, but

AKBman

I have a question. I am loading for the 375 Ruger, and I am getting excellent accuracy with the Hornady 300gr RN bullets. However, I have found that my velocities aren't what I was expecting. Being between chronos, I am using a ballistics calculator to figure out my velocity. I am using a load shot in the same barrel length and action, but instead of the 2600FPS published in Handloader, my ballistics calculator shows the velocity to be closer to 2300FPS. I shot a group at 100 yards, and then I shot a group at 200 yards, I took the measurement between the groups and started playing with the input velocity until the calculated 100 and 200 yard measurements matched. I am not using the exact components, they used CCI primers, I am using Federal, I also am not seating the bullets as deep. Would this be enough to cost me 250+ FPS? I am planing o using this rifle on an upcoming cow elk hunt, and I am not likely to change the load between now and then, but until I get another chrony, are the ballistic calculator's numbers to be trusted?

My 2C is that you would have to go out quite a bit farther than 200yds to use drops to verify velocity. Too much margin for error and other factors that can give you false feedback.

To your question, seating depth can have a big effect on chamber pressure and velocity.

I agree though you need to move out considerably further with your drops to get good confirmatory data. I'd suggest 400yds if you have a place you can shoot that far. Around Alamogordo that shouldn't be too hard to find though LOL.

Once you get away from the scrub brush, 400 is easy, a target big enough to contain the drop is another story. The local range is setup for out to 300.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.