Not Long Range – But A Well Earned Buck

I'm curious how you deal with evidence of sex when you bone them and pack them out that way.
I have a feeling Montana's laws aren't as strict as Colorado's. :)

I'm curious how you deal with evidence of sex when you bone them and pack them out that way.
I have a feeling Montana's laws aren't as strict as Colorado's. :)

Matt, here in Alberta we have to retain evidence of sex, the tail (for deer only), and the tag. And they all have to be on the same side and connected to one another. But it does not say that it all has to be connected with bone.

So, here's what we do. We cut the tail off from the rump (but not through the hide); then we skin down and remove the evidence of sex.

We'd already tagged the deer through the back hock. So using a small bone saw we cut the bone on eack side to the tagged area. The hide keeps the tag in place. Then we skin up to the evidence of sex which had already been skinned.

We now have it all (tag, sex, and tail) connected together with a length of hide. We then take this and put it into a big zip lock bag with the tag facing out and place the bag in our backpack. Once back home just toss the ziplock bag into the garbage.

We went over this method with a friend whos a fish & wildlife officer up here and he didn't see any problems with it and thought it was a great way to do it!

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Slopeshunter. Alberta eh?
I don't know where I got Montana from...

Anyways, here's the Colorado regulation. It seems a little ambiguous in places.

EVIDENCE OF SEX, ANTLER POINTS
1. It is illegal to have or transport a big game carcass without evidence of sex naturally attached. It is illegal just to have evidence of sex accompanying the carcass.
If you plan to submit a deer or elk head for CWD testing, be sure to leave
evidence of sex on the carcass.

2. Evidence of sex is:
a. Buck/Bull: Head, with antlers or horns, attached to carcass, or testicle, scrotum or penis attached to carcass.
b. Doe/Cow: Head, udder (mammary) or vulva attached to carcass .
c. Black Bear: Male: testicles or penis. Female: vulva.

3. Heads detached from carcass are not adequate evidence of sex.

4. If a carcass is cut in pieces or deboned, evidence of sex only needs to be
attached to 1/4 or another major part of carcass. All portions must be transported together. (This is the part that seems ambiguous to me. What exactly constitutes a "major part" of the carcass?) :confused:

5. Evidence of sex is not required when a donation certificate accompanies less than 20 lbs. of meat or after the carcass is cut into processed meat (commercially or otherwise), wrapped and frozen, or stored at licensee's home.

6. Elk antler-point compliance:
a. If you leave the head with its antlers at a taxidermist, you must get a receipt from the taxidermist, showing the date delivered and description of antlers before you take the carcass home or to a commercial processor.
b. The head or skull plate, with both antlers naturally attached, must accompany the carcass of bulls while in camp or being transported, even when the scrotum or testicles are used to meet evidence of sex requirements. (Except as in "a" above.)

Slopeshunter

Congratulations on a very nice Mule Deer. Sounds like you have your 280AI rock'n. I am happy that I was able to help you out.
Great story, thanks for sharing.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.