My first post/I need help with my Vanguard stock!

SaskShooter

Well, this is my first post on this fine forum, and I need some help with a small issue.
About 4 years ago (when I was 13) I got my first centerfire- a Weatherby Vanguard SS in .243 Win.- it's shot nice sub-MOA groups with factory ammo ever since I bought it. Once I started handloading, it took me about a 2 years to get it down to around .3 MOA (a year and a half spent trying to get under 1 MOA). In the process I glass bedded it, did my own trigger job, built a new cheekpiece, free-floated it, etc.

Now here's the problem- the synthetic stock didn't handle the free float very well as it was designed with a slight upward curve in the fore-end to provide a tight pressure bed fit. It worked OK for about 2 years, but it finally collapsed a few days ago, and the gun began to shoot some VERY erratic groups.

I either need to find way to keep the fore-end straight and clear of the barrel, or else I need to buy a new stock. I can't cut the free float any deeper or I'll mess up the front swivel stud.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I heard of people bedding Archery Arrow shafts (Graphite) in the stock and I also hear Rebar being used. Let someone who has done it chime in first but I would think you could Hollow out the stock and bed in 2 or 3 rods and stiffen up the stock. I would then fill it up with DevCo (Devcon i forget what it is called), finish the free float and make it look pretty.

I can't add any insight other than using rebar sounds very crude. Rebar is basically remelt scrap of unknown metallurgy so one stick can vary from another.

I'd use stainless rod or drill rod and if worried about grip, knurl the rod beforehand.

Save yourself the headache, & go buy a Hogue, or any number of aftermarket quality stocks, with pillars, or a full length bedding block for Wby Vanguard/Howa 1500 actions.
Bed the action on a new, & propper platform, & enjoy good groups again quickly without hassle. Or take a chance on mickey mousing something togather on an already goobered factory stock...
Or simply buy another used factory stock somewhere, & start over, keeping in mind what you've learned from your first attempt, so you don't repeat the mistakes, & you can improve on the good aspects from your first attempt.
I'm a DIY guy too. I gather from your post, that your a person who gets a certain amount of satisfaction from doing it on your own. But if it were me id start fresh with quality materials, & do all the work on my own. Especially on a sentimental first rifle. It's just not worth putting lipstick on a pig, then Mary it up to your pride & joy, ya know.

I have a Vanguard submoa, Range certifide rifle with the bell and carlson stock, it shoots 1/2 moa, and its my deer and elk gun, I decided to bed the rifle in a Mcmillan A2 stock, with the barrel free floating, when i first took it to the range to resite the scope, it would not shoot less then a inch and a half.
I started to panic after spending $600 on the stock, and having my shot groups go to ****. so i fully glass bedded the barrel and now she is back to 1/2 moa, I shot a 3 shot group last weekend that measured 0.25 in. The #2 contour barrels are thin and have alot of whip when fired, and they need to be supported. just my 2 cents.

kc0ppk and SidecarFlip, I can't really bed in shafts or drill rod, because the fore-end itself is fairly stiff... the stock is flexing about a inch in front of the recoil lug cutout.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/members/kc0pph/Winmag, I would LOVE a Hogue, but there are a few knuckleheads down at the border that won't let any synthetic stocks into my beloved People's Republik of Kanada. I'm looking at possibly buying a Richard's Microfit laminate stock, since they usually make it past customs. And yes, I am a DIY guy, mostly because gun stuff ain't cheap and alot of it is hard to find here.

GoArmy, my gun shot well with the pressure bed and better with the free float, it's just the awkward half floated- half pressure state that it's in right now that sucks.

Canada does have some lame regulations concerning importation of certain items. I deal with that regularly.

Most times, it don't even get across the border. It's confiscated in Chicago of all places......

Thats where the US Customs clearing is.

Apparently, from the importers I've talked to, it isn't even the Canadian regulations that suck. It's the American regs that prevent the stocks from being EXPORTED, Canadian customs is perfectly happy to let stocks be imported.

Then said importers usually shout a few cusses about Clinton, then say "Sorry, you're from Canada, you're screwed."

Just lovely.

I know there far from premium stocks but i put a boyd laminate on my 300 wby and its worked great. Its got to be stiffer then that cheap plastic factory stock was. Nice thing is they only cost a 100 bucks bad thing is they about have to have a real recoil pad put on the for any serious caliber.

I know there far from premium stocks but i put a boyd laminate on my 300 wby and its worked great. Its got to be stiffer then that cheap plastic factory stock was. Nice thing is they only cost a 100 bucks bad thing is they about have to have a real recoil pad put on the for any serious caliber.

I'd have the same recommendation.
A Boyds laminate will have the best "bang for your buck" assuming you can get one.

Well, it looks like I SHOULD be able to get one. Boyd's only offers international shipping on orders under $100, and the laminate thumbhole stock for a short action Vanguard is $99.00. I really hope they don't count tax/shipping on that $100 limit...

I'd like to, but I don't think that extra price will be in my budget right now. At least not until I can find somewhere to work (don't hate I'm only 17). I have other projects on the go right now that I need money for. I'll just glass bed it with Brownell's Acraglas.

Apparently, from the importers I've talked to, it isn't even the Canadian regulations that suck. It's the American regs that prevent the stocks from being EXPORTED, Canadian customs is perfectly happy to let stocks be imported.

Then said importers usually shout a few cusses about Clinton, then say "Sorry, you're from Canada, you're screwed."

Just lovely.

Probably very true ( that exports) from here are regulated (confiscated in other words) prior to leaving US Soil, for shippers that don't read the 'fine print' and there is a pile of fine print I might add.....

Perfectly ok for us to come visit (snowmobiling or hunting) but don't send anything up. However, you can send anything (except firearms and currency or cigaretts) to anywhere in Europe....

Of course they (Canada) welcome hard goods so they can tax you on them......

I continuously wade through export papers concerning offshore shipments in my business because probably 75 percent of what I sell gets shipped offshore....

What I find interesting is though Canada is a mere 80 miles north of me, freight rates reflect Europe. Why, I have no idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.