My first post & a basic question.......

I'm sorry if it came off that I believe that any rifle can be a 1000 yard rifle.

What I meant by my original statement that the OP should get whatever caliber and model of rifle he wanted, is that he can get too caught up in the numbers on ballistic charts.

Shooters were competing at 1000 yards with 30-06 chambered rifles, but if you ask the majority of people today, they will tell you that it's less than adequate, when in reality it's just fine.

The biggest determining factor of hitting the target, let alone grouping, at 1000 yards is how well you can read the wind. IMO

Jcub- Thanks for your service. The 30-06 is an excellent round. If you go to Rifleman's Journal.com ; German Salazar has many articles about his competition , loading and shooting the 30-06 at long range. He always beat me handily ( actually left handed if you look at the bolt on his rifle) with Iron sights, whether i was shooting a 30-06 or 6.5-284 , usually I had a big scope on it too. In one year i Loaded and Shot over 2500 rounds of 30-06 . wish my learning curve was not so flat. i have not been shooting as much lately. I will say German's Rifle's were not the over the counter type. His markmanship excellent also, his reading the wind at long range was amazing . ( sorry to the OP. maybe you could chime in a little more often. ). Like you said reading the wind is very important, my scores were always slightly higher with the 6.5-284 . roninflag

O i know i was fooling around with ya since how all your guns print "one hole" groups.:D I actually love the 870. Best shotgun ive had the privilege to shoot. Ive killed quite a few turkeys @ 60 yards with an 870.

I'm not BSing you. My .270 Win Model 700 shoots amazing and my .243 is even better. My Dad's collection of his 700s are also all 1/2inch or better. I will agree with you though that the 870 is a great shotgun, maybe the best all around pump around. I have one in 20 GA that is my primary dove and rabbit gun that patterns great, functions perfectly, and is very fast and handy.

I'm not BSing you. My .270 Win Model 700 shoots amazing and my .243 is even better. My Dad's collection of his 700s are also all 1/2inch or better. I will agree with you though that the 870 is a great shotgun, maybe the best all around pump around. I have one in 20 GA that is my primary dove and rabbit gun that patterns great, functions perfectly, and is very fast and handy.

O there is no maybe about. By far the best shot gun ever. My grandfather gave me his rem 700 bdl varmint special in a 6mm rem to try and work a load up for. This gun has always had a special place with me. Ive always liked this gun, its a real sweetheart. Having a really hard time with it though. Im getting about 1 1/2 - 2 in groups with 80 gn bullets right now. im bound and determined to get a load down to 1/2in though.

O there is no maybe about. By far the best shot gun ever. My grandfather gave me his rem 700 bdl varmint special in a 6mm rem to try and work a load up for. This gun has always had a special place with me. Ive always liked this gun, its a real sweetheart. Having a really hard time with it though. Im getting about 1 1/2 - 2 in groups with 80 gn bullets right now. im bound and determined to get a load down to 1/2in though.

I will agree to that haha. Never, ever had mine fail with hundreds of rounds through it and thousands more to come! Its the short little youth model with the wooden stock I got when I was 8, everyone laughs at it until they see me use it. I can snap it up quicker than anything else and empty three shots as quick as my Dad's Remington 1100 semi. Its a great shotgun, sorry to Mossberg guys, but the 500 doesn't compare to the 870. About that 6mm, if you want you can PM me and I will try and help you with it. I love those old Varmint Specials and one in 6mm Remington would be one of the ultimate varmint rigs.

Just found this tread!! Wow!! I like stuff like this!! Lol!! To the OP, go with whatever suits you. Just my 2cts, I'm a remington man! I've shot others, remington just happen to be my perferance! As far as caliber, the 30/06 has been around forever, even helped win a war!!! Me, I'm a 7mm man an 338 ultra mag man. Why? I just like em! Just a suggestion, a lot of pawn shops have very good rifles for sale(whatever your perferance is) could save you a lot of money for optics or a little extra for your rifle,just something to think about! Anyway, Welcome to LRH, an good shooting!!

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts