New member first post. Barrel question.

matthew lofton

Hello LRH. I've learned a lot reading threads from this forum over the years but just now became a member. Not really a true long range hunter...yet, only have self taught experience to 500yds as that's longest range to shoot at anywhere around where I live in South Florida. I have a question regarding a barrel re-bore. I put together a rem700 257wby with a 28" #5 Hart and it's intended use would be in a box blind overlooking a a peanut field where I hunt in S. GA with possible shots out to 700yds. As I'm doing more reading, I'm thinking I would have been better served with a 270wby or 7rem mag. Do any of y'all know of a place I can send this barrel to have re-bored to a 270wby, or am a stuck and have to sell it and purchase a new barrel? I've already talked to hart and they will not re-bore even tho its their barrel. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to LRH! Lots of good people to help you out. I would go with a new barrel from one of the good barrel makers. Hart is good as well as my personal favorites, Krieger, Bartlein, and Brux. A 7 mag is good just about anywhere for long range and easy to feed.......Rich

morning, I have a 257wbee in rem. 721 action, bolt face opened
to fit mag. the barrel is a hart #6 contour 28.5" HART barrel printed. match crown.
creacote in sniper gray. timmey trigger. the 257 shoots very flat.
I shoot deer, hogs and anything and everything I want to kill
with the 257wbee. OH I have 2. weatherby custom, and the rem.
110gr accu-bond and 100gr. barnes TTSX. I started using HART barrels 10yrs ago.
never had a problem. talk to Karen and her husband, every good
people. u tell them what u want, HART will satisfy. some of the
barrel makers mentioned take a year to obtain a barrel. time is precious.
shoot shoot shoot. practice and accuracy r the most important actions
in shooting. GBOT TUM

Welcome to the forum! For what you intend to do with the rifle, if you use good bullets, there is no whitetail on the planet that is going to walk away after being hit with a 257 Weatherby. What makes you think you'd be better suited with a 270 or 7mm? If the rifle shoots well, I'd just leave it be and build another gun. If you're looking for higher BC bullets, Hammer and Cutting Edge have good bullets if you have the required barrel twist.

However, if you're set on a rebore, Dan Pendersen at Classic Barrel and Gunworks has done one for me. He does a good job and stands behind his work. Just know that it'll cost about as much as a new barrel anyway. Today with as many good barrels there are for a value, there is little reason to rebore a barrel save a few scenarios.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated! My thinking was that a .270-7mm with the higher bc's Would buck wind better and really have a substantial difference in energy where the .257 starts to diminish a bit after the 500yd mark. I definitely agree in the lethality of the 257 bee, have seen it kill with authority out to 500, but have become fairly proficient at that range and am getting comfortable with the idea of taking shots further but want be sure I'm using the best possible setup. If I know there's something better I could be using it will nag at me and affect my confidence. Looks like a rebarrel/new build are in my future! After I spoke to Karen at Hart I put the rifle or barrel for sale on 24hourcampfire, but no offers yet. Once I figure out what I'm gonna do I'll probably list it here on LRH. Thanks again guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.