New member question on bullet selection

runshort

We ended up booking a mule deer / elk hunt for the fall of this year and have been looking at what rifle to take since we have never had the opportunity to take an elk. The outfitter recommended nothing smaller than a .270 caliber with a 150 gr. bullet. We have a Rem. 700 in 7MM RM that we have used for deer hunting on crop fields using a 140 gr.bullet that works quite well on the smallish whitetails in this area. I handload for this rifle and was looking at the 160 gr.+ bullet since we may have a shot at an elk. I have not had any need in the past to use a heavier bullet and was wondering what kind of realistic velocity can be acheived with this caliber. I have seen several threads on the Nosler Accubond 160 and also the Berger 168. We have also looked at the 162 gr Hor. SST. Any info on the above bullets for this type of hunting would be greatly appreciated. I feel there are numerous members here that have been there and done that. Thanks again! Randall

I've killed 6 elk with a 7mm RM and the 160 gr. Accubond with absolutely no problems. They hold together, penetrate and have a very adverse affect on an elk's ability to live.;);) If it was me, the 160 Accubond would be the lightest I'd use if I was hunting elk with a 7mm RM.

Check the threads you mentioned and the guys should have listed some velocities.

We ended up booking a mule deer / elk hunt for the fall of this year and have been looking at what rifle to take since we have never had the opportunity to take an elk. The outfitter recommended nothing smaller than a .270 caliber with a 150 gr. bullet. We have a Rem. 700 in 7MM RM that we have used for deer hunting on crop fields using a 140 gr.bullet that works quite well on the smallish whitetails in this area. I handload for this rifle and was looking at the 160 gr.+ bullet since we may have a shot at an elk. I have not had any need in the past to use a heavier bullet and was wondering what kind of realistic velocity can be acheived with this caliber. I have seen several threads on the Nosler Accubond 160 and also the Berger 168. We have also looked at the 162 gr Hor. SST. Any info on the above bullets for this type of hunting would be greatly appreciated. I feel there are numerous members here that have been there and done that. Thanks again! Randall

I have no experience on elk, but know a few that have. A 140 would be adequate, so long as it was a well contructed bullet. If it were me, Id go with a 150 or 160 though. Still Id load a partition, accubond, TSX, or the like. No need to get any heavier than a 160 in my opinion. In a 24" bbl you can look at 3000-3050fps with 160s (factory fodder gives 2950, so you should be able to better that a little), and 3150-3200 with 150s. My 25.6" bbl gives 3080 with 160s (and could do more I suspect but it's so accurate there), and 3250 with 150s. From those that I know that have taken elk with 7mm's, a 150 or 160 at or near those velocities will be plenty. In a 26" bbl add @ 60-70fps to the 24" velocities.

Just so you know, I'm not a fan of loading bullets outside the "normal for caliber" bullets, IE 175s in the 7mm. If I need more than a 160, then I need to step up in caliber. Just my opinion.

I've killed many elk with a 7RM all with either a 160 partitions or accubonds and never felt a need to try anything else. No shots were over 450 yds, and several were under 75. Short range performance is excellant, I can't speak of long range performance.
The first loads out of my new custom 7STW are 160 accubonds shooting sub .5.
I just ordered some 168 bergers and will be experimenting with them, but the noslers will be in elk and mulie country with me this fall and with any luck I'll find out first hand the accubonds performance at longer range.

Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts