My first post & a basic question.......

I'm sorry if it came off that I believe that any rifle can be a 1000 yard rifle.

What I meant by my original statement that the OP should get whatever caliber and model of rifle he wanted, is that he can get too caught up in the numbers on ballistic charts.

Shooters were competing at 1000 yards with 30-06 chambered rifles, but if you ask the majority of people today, they will tell you that it's less than adequate, when in reality it's just fine.

The biggest determining factor of hitting the target, let alone grouping, at 1000 yards is how well you can read the wind. IMO

Who said i was trying to change you???????? Dont get so excited after all its only a rifle brand:D The cheap savages shoot very well also by the way so you dont have to spend a 1000 bucks on a savage to match a remmy. And who cares what country is on the barrel as long as it shoots good. Some of the best optics come from japan. And i dont think 700 bucks is a bad price for an x-bolt that shoots sub 1/2 MOA. And thats better quality than and ADL. I had an ADL and that was the biggest piece of crap if owned or seen. It was just made poorly. My Grandpas 1000 dollar 700 cdl is a 2 in gun by the why. My savage mark II 22lr will do better than that @ 100 yards (3/4 in groups with cci ammo).

How many Remingtons have you see spit the firing pin like some Savages do? And dont say they dont because Ive seen 2 of them do it...for whatever reason I have no idea but they do accomplish that feat!

To the OP: Buy a Remington 700 VLS model. Heavy weight barrel...heavy multi laminated wooden stock ( dont worry..this thing aint about to warp) in 308 caliber. Figur out what scope you want and pick up a skid load of ammo.

Have fun

Ive never seen any such problem with savages.

My cousin's Savage 1-something doesn't have a functioning safety. Whether its on fire or "safe" it still goes off. Remington got a bad name for their triggers, but I know for a fact that his rifle goes off everytime on safe with a factory, unmodified, unmonkeyed with fire control system.

My cousin's Savage 1-something doesn't have a functioning safety. Whether its on fire or "safe" it still goes off. Remington got a bad name for their triggers, but I know for a fact that his rifle goes off everytime on safe with a factory, unmodified, unmonkeyed with fire control system.

Like i said, out of the many savages ive handled none of them have had a problem. If i had a problem like that i would have said so. Must not be a common problem because thats the only case ive heard of

To the OP: Buy a Remington 700 VLS model. Heavy weight barrel...heavy multi laminated wooden stock ( dont worry..this thing aint about to warp) in 308 caliber. Figur out what scope you want and pick up a skid load of ammo.

Have fun

+1 that's another great option. I still believe the new Remington 700 Long Range is an amazing deal, that brings a lot to the table for $700. Pretty much the VLS in long action standard and magnum cartridges but with a B&C stock from the factory.

Like i said, out of the many savages ive handled none of them have had a problem. If i had a problem like that i would have said so. Must not be a common problem because thats the only case ive heard of

This is also the only case I have seen like this, but it still makes me leary of them.

if limited to 700 $ ; the remington long range gets my vote . it will be interesting to see how they fair and what the OP gets.

Last edited:
for 700 $ the remington long range gets my vote . it will be interesting to see how they fair and what the OP gets.

Soon as summer rolls around I am going to get one myself and rechamber it to .308 Norma Magnum for a back up to my custom .308 Norma. Will use it when the weather is bad and most likely as my main rifle to preserve my custom that me and my Uncle are building together. If the Long Range Model is anything like my other Remingtons, it will print one hole and never let me down.

Soon as summer rolls around I am going to get one myself and rechamber it to .308 Norma Magnum for a back up to my custom .308 Norma. Will use it when the weather is bad and most likely as my main rifle to preserve my custom that me and my Uncle are building together. If the Long Range Model is anything like my other Remingtons, it will print one hole and never let me down.

Does your Remington 870 with slugs print one hole groups @ 100 yards too????????

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.